South Salt Lake woman found with knife in her neck; son arrested in the homicide
SOUTH SALT LAKE — The body of a South Salt Lake woman believed to have been killed Sunday was discovered Tuesday in her apartment complex with a knife still stuck in her neck.
Mary White, 62, died in her apartment at 3414 S. 300 East from numerous stab wounds. Her son, who lived with her, 21-year-old John Paul White, was arrested Wednesday in Murray for investigation of murder.
Another tenant, who lived in the unit below White, told the apartment manager Tuesday that the water in White's apartment had been running for two days straight, said South Salt Lake police officer Gary Keller. When the manager went to investigate about 11 a.m., he found White's body.
The shower in White's apartment had been on for two days. Keller did not say, however, whether her body was found in the bathroom.
White was stabbed multiple times in the neck, Keller said. The "large" knife, as described by Salt Lake County Jail records, allegedly used to stab her was still in her neck when police arrived, he said.
Detectives first tried to locate where her son was since he was not in the apartment. Keller said South Salt Lake police detectives found him in Murray, though he did not give a specific location. Based on their interview with him, John White was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of aggravated murder.
White is believed to have killed his mother Sunday about noon and then fled the apartment, Keller said.
A possible motive for the slaying was not released Wednesday.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- UDOT resurfacing 12300 South in Draper
- Mount Timpanogos trail temporarily closing...
- Blue Moon Festival is Aug. 6 in Holladay
- Orem police invest in new armor to protect...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 26
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Can police-community relations be... 14
- Rep. Mia Love buying $1M in TV ads for... 13
- Giant algal bloom likely to fuel Utah... 10