SOUTH SALT LAKE — The body of a South Salt Lake woman believed to have been killed Sunday was discovered Tuesday in her apartment complex with a knife still stuck in her neck.
Mary White, 62, died in her apartment at 3414 S. 300 East from numerous stab wounds. Her son, who lived with her, 21-year-old John Paul White, was arrested Wednesday in Murray for investigation of murder.
Another tenant, who lived in the unit below White, told the apartment manager Tuesday that the water in White's apartment had been running for two days straight, said South Salt Lake police officer Gary Keller. When the manager went to investigate about 11 a.m., he found White's body.
The shower in White's apartment had been on for two days. Keller did not say, however, whether her body was found in the bathroom.
White was stabbed multiple times in the neck, Keller said. The "large" knife, as described by Salt Lake County Jail records, allegedly used to stab her was still in her neck when police arrived, he said.
Detectives first tried to locate where her son was since he was not in the apartment. Keller said South Salt Lake police detectives found him in Murray, though he did not give a specific location. Based on their interview with him, John White was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of aggravated murder.
White is believed to have killed his mother Sunday about noon and then fled the apartment, Keller said.
A possible motive for the slaying was not released Wednesday.
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists overnight...
- Snow wreaks havoc across state, curbs travel...
- Police officer suicide needs to be addressed,...
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive on...
- Flu season off and running in Utah; H1N1...
- Charges: Magna mom got 13-year-old son drunk
- 'Deseret News Sunday Edition' looks at Sharia...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 114
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 63
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 28
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 27
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 26
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion... 18
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 16