South Salt Lake woman found with knife in her neck; son arrested in the homicide
SOUTH SALT LAKE — The body of a South Salt Lake woman believed to have been killed Sunday was discovered Tuesday in her apartment complex with a knife still stuck in her neck.
Mary White, 62, died in her apartment at 3414 S. 300 East from numerous stab wounds. Her son, who lived with her, 21-year-old John Paul White, was arrested Wednesday in Murray for investigation of murder.
Another tenant, who lived in the unit below White, told the apartment manager Tuesday that the water in White's apartment had been running for two days straight, said South Salt Lake police officer Gary Keller. When the manager went to investigate about 11 a.m., he found White's body.
The shower in White's apartment had been on for two days. Keller did not say, however, whether her body was found in the bathroom.
White was stabbed multiple times in the neck, Keller said. The "large" knife, as described by Salt Lake County Jail records, allegedly used to stab her was still in her neck when police arrived, he said.
Detectives first tried to locate where her son was since he was not in the apartment. Keller said South Salt Lake police detectives found him in Murray, though he did not give a specific location. Based on their interview with him, John White was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of aggravated murder.
White is believed to have killed his mother Sunday about noon and then fled the apartment, Keller said.
A possible motive for the slaying was not released Wednesday.
- Utah bachelor lets sister set him up on 31...
- $1M in heroin found in 'complex' hidden...
- BYU student health plan exemption expires
- New law helps Utah avoid marriage license...
- Woman accused of stabbing girlfriend 46 times...
- FBI investigating fatal crash on Ute reservation
- Mia Love paying back money spent on...
- SAGE scores, 2015: Top Utah schools in...
- BYU student health plan exemption expires 53
- New law helps Utah avoid marriage... 49
- Popular Provo teacher imprisoned for... 47
- Family of man killed by Spanish Fork... 34
- Mia Love paying back money spent on... 29
- Does coal have a future in Utah? Should... 27
- Students see 'great growth' in second... 18
- About Utah: He walked around the lake... 15