LOS ANGELES — It's a meal fit for King. Or Spot. Or Rover.
Turkey, Lamb Wellington and pumpkin doggie truffles are on Thanksgiving menus at dog bakeries across the country.
Kelly Hannaford, the general manager and head chef for Three Dog Bakery franchise stores in Pasadena and Los Angeles, has been perfecting her $19.95 "Feast for the Beast," which includes Lamb Wellington, a pound of bakery blend kibble, fresh carrots, a spinach dip and a pumpkin pie.
Her main taste testers are her own 10-pound rescue dogs — Zoey, a Maltese mix, and Snoop, a miniature pinscher, both 2.
Barkley Square Professional Pet Services & Gourmet Dog Bakery in Alexandria, Va., sells a $16 holiday meal of oven-baked turkey, rice with carrots, peas and carrots, biscuits, an animal-faced masked pumpkin and pumpkin doggy truffles.
"The dogs just love them and their humans like the fact that their canine buddy can join in the holiday feasting," owner Kristina Robertson said.
Executive Chef Tara Ross of Dog City Bakery is catering the 3 p.m. Thanksgiving meal for Barkley Pet Hotels & Day Spas in Westlake Village, Calif., and Cleveland. It includes a turkey-shaped biscuit baked with real turkey, potatoes, yams, herbs and dried cranberries; Iams gravy; and a mashed potato-filled dog toy.
Dinner is not all Thanksgiving holds for Barkley guests — they are also invited to watch the animal balloons in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and "The National Dog Show Presented by Purina."
Steve Pinkston, the owner of Adventure Dog Ranch in Marysville, Wash., said his charges for the day will get the food their owners supplied. However, he said, they can watch television with him — if they like football.
- Verizon buys Yahoo for $4.83B, marking end of...
- Historic solar flight marks first...
- Judge set to decide on $15B Volkswagen...
- Former Oregon lumber town rides digital wave...
- US home prices rise at steady pace as sales...
- Stocks waver as investors monitor company...
- US stocks rise, helped by jump in Apple shares
- Fiat Chrysler raises outlook as Q2 profits...
- Get all your outdoors work done by... 14
- How to recognize the signs of a scam... 5
- Utah communities are working to stop... 5
- Verizon buys Yahoo for $4.83B, marking... 3
- Deseret News, KSL want court records in... 3
- Jennifer Napier-Pearce named editor of... 3
- Judge sends Jeremy Johnson to prison... 3
- Historic solar flight marks first... 1