Utah Utes football: Joe Phillips is named the MWC Special Teams Player Of Week
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah kicker Joe Phillips has been named Mountain West Conference Special Teams Player of the Week for his contributions in Saturday's 38-34 victory over San Diego State.
The senior made a 32-yard field goal and five PATs in rainy conditions at Qualcomm Stadium.
"It's a great feeling, a great accomplishment, and I'm honored to be recognized by the Mountain West," Phillips said. "I've worked really hard and it feels good to have it pay off a little bit."
The Utes have now won 10 MWC weekly awards this season. Previous winners include wide receiver DeVonte Christopher (Sept. 6), safety Brian Blechen (Sept. 6, Oct. 31), return specialist Shaky Smithson (Sept. 13, Sept. 20, Oct. 11), cornerback Lamar Chapman (Sept. 20) and quarterback Jordan Wynn (Oct. 11, Oct. 25).
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26