BYU, Utah football: Bronco Mendenhall, Kyle Whittingham keep things strictly professional
Coaches are not close friends
The Utes' rise to prominence, which includes two undefeated seasons capped by Bowl Championship Series appearances since 2004, has raised the stakes.
"It's fun to acknowledge and see anyone have success over time in this business," Mendenhall said. "Because it's not easy."
So describes the rivalry since Whittingham and Mendenhall took over. Aside from a lopsided outcome in 2008, when Utah prevailed 48-24 to lock down a trip to the Sugar Bowl, the other four meetings included two overtime games and outcomes of seven points or less.
Mendenhall has a 3-2 edge in the head-to-head coaching meetings. Whittingham and the Utes, however, are considered favorites to even things up on Saturday.
The Mendenhall-Whittingham Era
2005: Utah 41, BYU 34 (OT)
2006: BYU 33, Utah 31
2007: BYU 17, Utah 10
2008: Utah 48, BYU 24
2009: BYU 26, Utah 23 (OT)
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass, Cougars'...
- Commentary: Long-term success in independence...
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much money...
- Breaking down UMass, BYU basketball's next...
- 2014 NBA draft tracker: An ongoing look at...
- BYU football: Cougars have gotten solid...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 193
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 102
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 53
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 51
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience... 45