NEW YORK — Former "American Idol" judge Simon Cowell says he's happy that Steven Tyler will take his place.
Cowell says, "I always said it had to be someone who wasn't better looking than me and they achieved it."
He poked fun at Tyler before collecting the Founders Awards at the International Emmy Awards in New York on Monday night.
Cowell said the Aerosmith frontman seems like a nice guy, and Randy Jackson told him they were having a lot of fun.
He believes Tyler can adequately fill his shoes, but stopped short of saying the rock star would damage his credibility being on the show.
Cowell says the role of judge is something that Tyler wants to do and that "it's a fun job. You got to take it like that. You can't take it too seriously."
- Fact check: Obama's claims on illegal...
- Winners and losers under Obama's immigration...
- Investigators may have recovered up to 30,000...
- Ice snarls Michigan roadways, airport runways
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys' for kids
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring, Elder L....
- Homes collapse, 39 injured in magnitude-6.8...
- Redistribution of homes begins in Utah FLDS town
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 63
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 55
- Obama to announce immigration action... 30
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 28
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring,... 22
- Fact check: Obama's claims on illegal... 18
- President Obama's immigration speech... 14
- Boehner: 'We will not stand idle' on... 14