NEW YORK — Former "American Idol" judge Simon Cowell says he's happy that Steven Tyler will take his place.
Cowell says, "I always said it had to be someone who wasn't better looking than me and they achieved it."
He poked fun at Tyler before collecting the Founders Awards at the International Emmy Awards in New York on Monday night.
Cowell said the Aerosmith frontman seems like a nice guy, and Randy Jackson told him they were having a lot of fun.
He believes Tyler can adequately fill his shoes, but stopped short of saying the rock star would damage his credibility being on the show.
Cowell says the role of judge is something that Tyler wants to do and that "it's a fun job. You got to take it like that. You can't take it too seriously."
- Heroes 2014: Ex-CIA officer uses...
- Bad Santa? 5 tips to tackle your holiday gift...
- On Christmas, Obama marks end of Afghan combat
- Photo gallery: Christmas around the world
- How to help find a cure for Ebola from the...
- New Russian military doctrine says NATO top...
- Father of pilot captured by Islamic State...
- Protesters rally for 2nd night after shooting...
- Obama 's Christmas in Hawaii: Carols,... 16
- Going it alone, Obama rocked the boat... 14
- Officer kills armed 18-year-old near... 11
- On Christmas, Obama marks end of Afghan... 10
- Pope in blistering critique of Vatican... 9
- Senate, CIA agree torture program was... 6
- Sony announces limited release for 'The... 5
- Judge seems skeptical of challenge to... 4