NEW YORK — Former "American Idol" judge Simon Cowell says he's happy that Steven Tyler will take his place.
Cowell says, "I always said it had to be someone who wasn't better looking than me and they achieved it."
He poked fun at Tyler before collecting the Founders Awards at the International Emmy Awards in New York on Monday night.
Cowell said the Aerosmith frontman seems like a nice guy, and Randy Jackson told him they were having a lot of fun.
He believes Tyler can adequately fill his shoes, but stopped short of saying the rock star would damage his credibility being on the show.
Cowell says the role of judge is something that Tyler wants to do and that "it's a fun job. You got to take it like that. You can't take it too seriously."
- Georgia girl struck by plane on Florida beach...
- The Great War: 100 photos marking 100 years...
- Comic-Con's dark side: Harassment amid the...
- Trial begins for Salt Lake attorney seeking...
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11 museum,...
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all lovers
- Judge rules against Donald Sterling, OKs...
- Northern California wildfire destroys 10 homes
- Federal land managers criticized over... 25
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 25
- Feds cap fines for not buying health... 22
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 22
- After government topples crosses in... 19
- Ted Cruz demands answers on FAA flight... 16
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 15
- Gaza sides agree to lull but truce... 13