BYU, Utah Utes football: Rivalry game unlikely to determine bowl destinations
Among the Las Vegas Bowl opponents mentioned as possibilities from various sources are Tennessee, Louisville, Toledo and Notre Dame.
Brent Ringler, the Armed Forces Bowl executive director, said his bowl would be excited to have either BYU or Utah and said they were two of the main candidates since San Diego State and Air Force appear to be going to the Poinsettia and Independence bowls.
"We've had Utah before, but never had BYU," Ringler said. "We'd be happy to have either team."
The opponent in the Armed Forces Bowl is from Conference USA and the league will be able to fill all of its slots. SMU would be an ideal choice since the bowl game will be played in its stadium and other possibilities are Tulsa and UTEP.
Ringler said the bowl is already sold out, so the bowl doesn't have to worry about selling tickets to incoming fans besides those designated for the participating schools.
Any bowl matchups won't be officials until Dec. 5 after the BCS bowl selections are made.
Scenarios. . .UTAH. . .BYU
Most likely. . .Las Vegas. . .Armed Forces
Possibility. . .Armed Forces, Poinsettia. . .New Mexico
Probably not. . .Independence. . .Independence, Las Vegas
Unlikely. . .New Mexico. . .Poinsettia
Mountain West Conference bowl affiliations
Bowl. . .Date. . .Time. . .Place. . .Most likely team*
1. Las Vegas. . .Dec. 22. . .6 p.m.. . .Las Vegas. . .Utah
2. Poinsettia. . .Dec. 23. . .6 p.m.. . .San Diego. . .San Diego State
3. Independence. . .Dec. 27. . .4 p.m.. . .Shreveport. . .Air Force
4. Armed Forces. . .Dec. 30. . .11 a.m.. . .Dallas. . .BYU
5. New Mexico. . .Dec. 18. . .Noon. . .Albuquerque. . .non-MWC team
*Assuming TCU gets a BCS bowl berth
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Utes get it done at home again
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes still outstanding from...
- BYU basketball analysis: Why the Cougars...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 98
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 90
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 55
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 28