ATLANTA — Dustin Byfuglien scored at 1:30 of overtime to give the Atlanta Thrashers a 2-1 victory over New York on Sunday, extending the Islanders' losing streak to 13 games.
The Islanders have their longest winless streak since playing 14 straight without a win Feb. 13-March 15, 1990. That streak included three ties.
Rick DiPietro, who had allowed 17 goals while losing his last three starts, had 33 saves and held the Thrashers to one goal in regulation. DiPietro couldn't stop the powerful winner by Byfuglien, the playoff star for the Chicago Blackhawks last season who leads the NHL with four winning shots this season.
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 84
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 41
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 36
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 26
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain... 25