O.J. Mayo and Zach Randolph will not start for Memphis on Saturday night against the Miami Heat after showing up late for the pregame shootaround.
Coach Lionel Hollins didn't specify how long the two would sit after the start of the game, but there were indications it wouldn't be long.
"I'm just trying to let everybody know, it's about the team. Guys have to represent, follow the rules and respect your teammates," Hollins said in announcing the punishment before the game.
Darrell Arthur is expected to start for Randolph, with rookie Xavier Henry spelling Mayo.
Randolph averages 16.7 points and a team-best 11.3 rebounds. Mayo is averaging 14.5 points but coming off the worst game of his career in Friday's loss to the Washington Wizards. Mayo had three points and missed 10-of-11 shots."I was a couple of minutes late, and we're losing and there's no excuse for being late," Mayo said.
"It's my responsibility to be on time. I wasn't on time, and I have to accept the consequences." Randolph also said that Memphis losing five straight probably came into play with Hollins' decision.
"We were running a little late. We're losing right now. I've apologized to my teammates," he said.
Hollins said it wasn't that the two were extremely late, but the Grizzlies had already started working out. He said it was not an ongoing problem.
"I can live with a minute or two and we haven't really started, and I'm just talking, but we had already started running the other team's plays, so this was a little more serious," Hollins said.
HORNETS, RAPTORS SWAP PLAYERS: A person familiar with the trade says the New Orleans Hornets and Toronto Raptors have agreed in principle to a five-player deal that will send Peja Stojakovic to Toronto in exchange for guard Jarrett Jack. The source said New Orleans also will receive center David Andersen and guard Marcus Banks, while guard Jarryd Bayless will go to Toronto.
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37