O.J. Mayo and Zach Randolph will not start for Memphis on Saturday night against the Miami Heat after showing up late for the pregame shootaround.
Coach Lionel Hollins didn't specify how long the two would sit after the start of the game, but there were indications it wouldn't be long.
"I'm just trying to let everybody know, it's about the team. Guys have to represent, follow the rules and respect your teammates," Hollins said in announcing the punishment before the game.
Darrell Arthur is expected to start for Randolph, with rookie Xavier Henry spelling Mayo.
Randolph averages 16.7 points and a team-best 11.3 rebounds. Mayo is averaging 14.5 points but coming off the worst game of his career in Friday's loss to the Washington Wizards. Mayo had three points and missed 10-of-11 shots."I was a couple of minutes late, and we're losing and there's no excuse for being late," Mayo said.
"It's my responsibility to be on time. I wasn't on time, and I have to accept the consequences." Randolph also said that Memphis losing five straight probably came into play with Hollins' decision.
"We were running a little late. We're losing right now. I've apologized to my teammates," he said.
Hollins said it wasn't that the two were extremely late, but the Grizzlies had already started working out. He said it was not an ongoing problem.
"I can live with a minute or two and we haven't really started, and I'm just talking, but we had already started running the other team's plays, so this was a little more serious," Hollins said.
HORNETS, RAPTORS SWAP PLAYERS: A person familiar with the trade says the New Orleans Hornets and Toronto Raptors have agreed in principle to a five-player deal that will send Peja Stojakovic to Toronto in exchange for guard Jarrett Jack. The source said New Orleans also will receive center David Andersen and guard Marcus Banks, while guard Jarryd Bayless will go to Toronto.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28