O.J. Mayo and Zach Randolph will not start for Memphis on Saturday night against the Miami Heat after showing up late for the pregame shootaround.
Coach Lionel Hollins didn't specify how long the two would sit after the start of the game, but there were indications it wouldn't be long.
"I'm just trying to let everybody know, it's about the team. Guys have to represent, follow the rules and respect your teammates," Hollins said in announcing the punishment before the game.
Darrell Arthur is expected to start for Randolph, with rookie Xavier Henry spelling Mayo.
Randolph averages 16.7 points and a team-best 11.3 rebounds. Mayo is averaging 14.5 points but coming off the worst game of his career in Friday's loss to the Washington Wizards. Mayo had three points and missed 10-of-11 shots."I was a couple of minutes late, and we're losing and there's no excuse for being late," Mayo said.
"It's my responsibility to be on time. I wasn't on time, and I have to accept the consequences." Randolph also said that Memphis losing five straight probably came into play with Hollins' decision.
"We were running a little late. We're losing right now. I've apologized to my teammates," he said.
Hollins said it wasn't that the two were extremely late, but the Grizzlies had already started working out. He said it was not an ongoing problem.
"I can live with a minute or two and we haven't really started, and I'm just talking, but we had already started running the other team's plays, so this was a little more serious," Hollins said.
HORNETS, RAPTORS SWAP PLAYERS: A person familiar with the trade says the New Orleans Hornets and Toronto Raptors have agreed in principle to a five-player deal that will send Peja Stojakovic to Toronto in exchange for guard Jarrett Jack. The source said New Orleans also will receive center David Andersen and guard Marcus Banks, while guard Jarryd Bayless will go to Toronto.
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- A good life: Former Weber State, NFL...
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- Doug Robinson: Violence against women is...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 102
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 50
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 34
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 26