"We had a tough loss last night and they accepted the challenge and came out," Johnson said, referring to the 94-82 clunker against the Spurs. "(Miles) shot the ball, a lot of guys really contributed. Al played tremendous tonight, coming back after a tough night last night."
And Johnson really appreciated the effort by Watson, who played much of the fourth quarter and had six assists, two steals and two rebounds.
"Earl Watson didn't score a point, played very well," Johnson said. "It's amazing how this game is. He defended, got us in our offense … a lot of guys contributed."
LaMarcus Aldridge ended up with 24 points for Portland, which got outscored 38-20 in the fourth quarter. Former Jazzman Wesley Matthews had 16 points on 6-for-16 shooting.
But, like so many other teams around the country have felt, they were left wondering what had happened and how they'd lost a double-digit lead to the 9-5 Jazz.
How does Utah do it?
"We get down, that's why," Johnson quipped. "It's either that or lose, you have your option. I said this all the time: We're a work in progress. We've got new guys. We have to bring them into the way we play basketball. It's going to be a long haul for some of the guys."
Especially teams they play on the road.
And especially if Miles continues to shoot like this.
- BYU football: Cougars to play Washington in...
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes coming...
- Utah State football: Aggies will take on No....
- Former Cougar Dennis Pitta scores first...
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- Utah State football: Aggie defense plays...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz continue slide with overtime...
- BYU basketball report card: Cougars give...
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 61
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 51
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 39
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 39
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 34
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass,... 27