LARAMIE, Wyo. — Wyoming will finish last in the Mountain West Conference, but a 44-0 win over Colorado State on Saturday suggests the Cowboys might not be the worst team in the league.
Wyoming (3-9, 1-7) broke a six-game losing streak Saturday in beating its Border War rival and keeping the rivalry's Bronze Boot trophy.
Wyoming had nearly three times as many yards on offense as the Rams (3-9, 2-6), who struggled to put much of anything together on defense or offense.
Wyoming's Alvester Alexander rushed for 147 yards and a school-record five touchdowns.
The blowout in the last game of the season couldn't undo Wyoming's woes this year, but it offered last-minute reassurance to players and fans alike.
"No one in our program, our entire organization, ever gave up," coach Dave Christensen said. "It was a tough year."
Alexander had an 8-yard run for the record-setting score late in the fourth quarter. He brushed off Colorado State defenders for a 21-yard score early in the third quarter, then added a 29-yard TD less than five minutes later for a 37-0 lead.
"The coaches talked all week that we were going to pass and run the ball," Alexander said. "We felt that there were some things we could do against their defense. We came out today and the holes were there to run. We could throw the ball. We just rocked it."
The Rams were held to 162 yards of offense.
It was the second consecutive game in which the Rams lost their balance early and never recovered.
"The last two weeks, we just haven't shown up to play," coach Steve Fairchild said. "That certainly wasn't the football team I thought we had become in the second half of the season, and it falls on me. I just haven't gotten the guys ready to play the last two weeks."
The Cowboys led 23-0 at halftime thanks to two Alexander touchdowns, a TD run by quarterback Austyn Carta-Samuels and a field goal.
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford to...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Kyle Van Noy and...
- College football: BYU receives votes in...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- BYU football: Cougars announce future games...
- High school football: Deseret News 2014...
- Utah football fall practice position preview:...
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 135
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 105
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford... 100
- BYU football: Cougars announce future... 76
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 73
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 51
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 32
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 30