Just over two minutes later, with 13:26 remaining in the second quarter, the Aztecs put the Utes in an even deeper hole. A 5-yard touchdown run by Ronnie Hillman made it 20-3. Unlike the previous two scores, however, Perez failed to make the ensuing extra-point kick.
When the Utes got the ball back, they managed to score just their second touchdown in 10 quarters — reaching the end zone on a 57-yard toss from Wynn to Luke Matthews.
Utah closed the deficit to 20-10 when Phillips followed with the PAT.
But the Aztecs used 14 plays and more than six minutes to move 86 yards and put more points on the board. A 14-yard TD toss from Lindley to Gavin Escobar and the PAT by Perez gave the Aztecs another 17-point lead.
Utah answered with two touchdowns in the final 4:16 to make it 27-24 at halftime.
A 16-yard touchdown run by Wide opened the late flurry and a 47-yard touchdown pass from Wynn to tight end Kendrick Moeai followed as time expired. The latter, on the "Hail Mary" pass, was tipped by a San Diego State defender and was caught by Moeai in the end zone.
"I rolled out and got a good block from Tevita. He laid the guy out that was chasing me," Wynn said. "I just threw it up and what do you know it ends up in Kendrick's hands."
- BYU basketball: 3 players record...
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up just...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Utah Jazz: A few slices of holiday spirit...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's prep roundup
- LDS general authorities make appearance at...
- Power rankings: Pac-12, WCC, MWC men's...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 188
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 88
- BYU football: Cougar offense rebounds... 84
- Utah football: Utes end season with... 76
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 58
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50