It was only a chip-shot field goal, but Doran nailed the 20-yarder to lift Juan Diego to another state championship
Juan Diego's three-peat is impressive but it has happened before. Beaver, Dixie, Jordan, Kanab, North Summit, Northridge and Rich have all won three straight state titles in their school history. Millard and Timpview have won four straight and East and Skyline five straight.
Hurricane was poised to take a 10-0 lead early in the second quarter as Corey Edwards lined up for the 37-yard field goal. Juan Diego defensive lineman Jalin Ames had other plans as he burst through the line and blocked the field goal to keep it a one-possession game.
In the 11 years since Juan Diego opened, the school has now won five state titles. It won 2A championships in 2002 and 2004, and has now won three straight state titles in 3A. The last three were all at the expense of Hurricane, which is now 0-6 all-time in state championship games.
"It was a battle from start to finish — a battle, definitely. There's no doubt about it. It's the biggest battle of our lives." Taylor Cassita, Juan Diego linebacker
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery: Ansah...
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers to...
- How to watch Utah football stars, local...
- Herriman brothers say their bond, competition...
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins Bruin Classic
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015
- High school basketball: Morby's last-second...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 20
- Locals and the NFL playoffs: Alex... 1
- Herriman brothers say their bond,... 1
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015 0
- High school basketball: Morby's... 0
- How to watch Utah football stars, local... 0
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers... 0
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins... 0
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery:... 0