LOGAN — The Utah State basketball team will hit the road for another in-state matchup tonight, as the Aggies travel down to Cedar City to take on Southern Utah University.
Despite being located in the same state, these two teams have met only four times in their history. The Aggies have a spotless 4-0 record against the Thunderbirds.
The two teams most recently met last season, with Utah State cruising to an 89-49 victory. Pooh Williams had a career-best 17 points in that matchup and the Aggies outscored the Thunderbirds 49-17 in the second half to push the game to a blowout.
Southern Utah is hoping the game is more along the lines of the last time these teams vied in Cedar City two seasons ago. In that game, Utah State had to hang on for a 72-65 win that saw 6-foot-5 Aggie guard Tyler Newbold play at power forward due to three Aggie big men fouling out of the game.
Utah State hopes that the foul trouble that has been an issue for Tai Wesley so far this season will not continue in Cedar City this year.
"Tai Wesley has got to stay on the floor," Utah State head coach Stew Morrill said after Wednesday night's loss at BYU. "We can't have him out there for 25 minutes. That's not going to work for us."
Wesley only played 10 minutes in the first half of the game at BYU because of two quick fouls, and he eventually fouled out with two minutes remaining.
This matchup will be the third leg of four straight instate games for Utah State. The Aggies beat Weber State at home to start the season, but followed that up with a heartbreaking 78-72 loss to BYU in Provo on Wednesday. They will continue the instate theme on Wednesday when they return home to host the University of Utah.
Aggies, T-birds on the air
Utah State (1-1) at Southern Utah (1-1)
Today, 7 p.m.
The Centrum, Cedar City
TV: none Radio: 610 AM, 1230 AM, 95.9 FM
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33