Utah Jazz: Jerry Sloan to miss 2 games for family funeral
Deseret News Archives
SALT LAKE CITY — Jazz coach Jerry Sloan will miss the next two games to attend the funeral of a family member, the team announced after practice Thursday.
In Sloan's absence, Jazz assistant coach Phil Johnson — a former NBA coach of the year and Sloan's longtime right-hand man — will assume head-coaching responsibilities for tonight's home game against the San Antonio Spurs and Saturday's game at Portland.
Sloan is expected to return in time for Monday's game at EnergySolutions Arena against Sacramento, a team spokesman said.
Sloan has only missed 16 of 1,996 regular-season games in his 23 years as Utah's head coach. The most recent absence was on April 3, 2009, also for a funeral.
The Jazz have a 9-7 record in games that the Hall of Fame coach missed.
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- BYU's Hill has come a long way since loss at...
- Week 2 NFL locals roundup: Players from Utah...
- Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3, injuries...
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty overturned,...
- Peavler: 3 is a magic number for BYU after...
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will not go...
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 112
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 72
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 56
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 51
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 48
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 45