BOONE, N.C. — Jerry Moore was struggling at Appalachian State in 2003 when the football junkie kept seeing Utah roll up points late at night on Saturdays with this spread offense perfected by Urban Meyer.
Moore, in his mid 60s and firmly entrenched with the I-formation from his time working under Tom Osborne and Hayden Fry, decided to make the dramatic change.
Seven years later, after three national championships, a monumental upset of Michigan and six straight Southern Conference titles, Moore's Mountaineers (9-1) are ranked No. 2 in both Football Championship Subdivision polls and again an offensive juggernaut.
Now Moore for the first time will face Meyer's nearly identical offense when Appalachian State visits struggling Florida (6-4) on Saturday.
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Utah Jazz pick up rare road win against Miami...
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 43
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 35
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 30
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25