BOONE, N.C. — Jerry Moore was struggling at Appalachian State in 2003 when the football junkie kept seeing Utah roll up points late at night on Saturdays with this spread offense perfected by Urban Meyer.
Moore, in his mid 60s and firmly entrenched with the I-formation from his time working under Tom Osborne and Hayden Fry, decided to make the dramatic change.
Seven years later, after three national championships, a monumental upset of Michigan and six straight Southern Conference titles, Moore's Mountaineers (9-1) are ranked No. 2 in both Football Championship Subdivision polls and again an offensive juggernaut.
Now Moore for the first time will face Meyer's nearly identical offense when Appalachian State visits struggling Florida (6-4) on Saturday.
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU's worldwide fan base highlighted in...
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 103
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 75
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 64
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 45
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27