FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — The offenses are having their way in the Southeastern Conference these days.
League teams are averaging 31.1 points per game. That leads all FBS conferences, ahead of the Pac-10, Big 12 and others more known for their offensive prowess.
The sometimes high-flying Gators aside, the SEC has been known for years as a grind-it-out running conference dominated by rugged defenses. It was just ninth in scoring two years ago at 25.6 points per game.
However, new offenses and talented players have led to more up-and-down games, led by No. 2 Auburn and quarterback Cam Newton. The Tigers lead the SEC in scoring at 42.8 points per game and are undefeated despite allowing 24.9 points per game, eighth-best in the conference.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 97
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 79
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 64
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 46
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43