With all the recent changes in conference affiliation among schools in the state of Utah, and the differing schedules between those in-state schools, officials from the four original schools — BYU, Utah, Utah State and Weber State — have agreed to retire the Old Oquirrh Bucket basketball trophy for the foreseeable future.
For the past 37 years, the Old Oquirrh Bucket (named after the Oquirrh Mountains west of Salt Lake City) has been the symbol of in-state basketball supremacy in Utah. Every year since 1974, the trophy has been awarded to the in-state college with the best win-loss record against in-state competition.
In 1974, a proposal was presented to create a trophy — a symbol to be awarded annually to Utah's best college basketball team. The concept was accepted and, for the first two years, the in-state title was awarded to Utah State, although no actual trophy had been determined.
In 1977, after Weber State won the title for the first time, an Ogden businessman located a pioneer bucket at a local auction, complete with a history of how it had been found. It has since become the traveling trophy emblematic of Utah college basketball supremacy.
The plaque on the bucket includes a map with the names and locations of the four original schools
Southern Utah and Utah Valley did not field Division I basketball programs at the time the trophy was created, but have since become members of the NCAA Division I. The plaque includes the caption "The Oquirrh Bucket Utah State Collegiate Champ Basketball."
Over the past 37 years, Utah has won the bucket 14 times, followed by Utah State and BYU with nine victories each, and Weber State with four. None of the other schools have ever won the award.
The Old Oquirrh Bucket, which was won by Utah State in 2010, will be donated to the Utah Sports Hall of Fame.
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- BYU coach Shawn Olmstead provided calming...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 25