It helped that he spent the summer mixing it up in Las Vegas with some of the NBA's best as part of a select team composed of 20 top college players.
Denver Nuggets guard Chauncey Billups said he was curious to see how Fredette could handle pressure but came away impressed after seeing him keep up a good pace.
"Everybody knows he can score," Billups said. "I think he's got to prove to everybody that he can run the show and affect the game without scoring. As a point guard, if you can affect the game without scoring, then you really improve your odds of success."
BYU teammate Noah Hartsock said Fredette not only helped himself but brought that experience back to Provo to improve the team.
"It gave me confidence that I can play at that level," Jimmer Fredette said of his time with Team USA.
Just not this season.
Now it's about keeping pace with No. 25 San Diego State, which is favored to win the Mountain West because it returns five starters (compared to three for BYU).
"Jimmer doesn't look like he's going to be a 30-point or 40-point scorer," backcourt teammate Jackson Emery said. "You look at him and say, 'Maybe if I leave him open, he's going to get his points.' Jimmer just creates ways he can score. I think a lot of people underestimate him. Last year he proved he can do a lot of things. I think he'll do the same this year."
Far from arrogant, Jimmer Fredette is more shy and quiet than anything.
When he isn't working out, he can be found at the dollar theater or watching a movie at his apartment.
"Shawshank Redemption" is his favorite, but not because of his prison hoops experience. He likes movies that make people think, with well-written plots and stories with good endings.
He's hopeful his own will end in the frenzy that is March Madness.
He just needs to follow his brother's lyrics.
"It's history in the making, no mistaking
...it's the grand finale
Oh yes, it's Amazing."
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33