Utah Utes basketball: Jay Watkins and Jace Tavita chosen as new team captains
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah men's basketball team has chosen senior forward Jay Watkins and junior guard Jace Tavita as co-captains for the 2010-11 season.
Coach Jim Boylen said the voting among players, coaches and team managers was unanimous and he is pleased with the selections.
"I'm very happy," he said. "Those are two tough guys that play hard and understand what is expected in the program."
Watkins is a 6-foot-7 forward from Memphis who transferred to the program last year from College of Southern Idaho, while Tavita is a 6-4 junior guard who prepped at Brighton High School.
Boylen also confirmed that four freshmen players will be redshirting this year.
He already indicated non-scholarship players Neal Monson, a 6-10 center from Sandy, and Josh Fuller, a 6-7 wing from Idaho, would be redshirting before going on LDS missions after this season. The other two that will be redshirting this year are Preston Guiot, a 6-foot guard from Missouri, and Dominique Lee, a 6-4 guard from Oakland.
Utah is 1-0 this year and next plays at home against Montana on Wednesday night.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Utahns in baseball: Former Ute Morin plays...
- High school football: Hillcrest Huskies 2015...
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 55
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 45
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 29
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 23
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 23
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 16
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16