Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah men's basketball team has chosen senior forward Jay Watkins and junior guard Jace Tavita as co-captains for the 2010-11 season.
Coach Jim Boylen said the voting among players, coaches and team managers was unanimous and he is pleased with the selections.
"I'm very happy," he said. "Those are two tough guys that play hard and understand what is expected in the program."
Watkins is a 6-foot-7 forward from Memphis who transferred to the program last year from College of Southern Idaho, while Tavita is a 6-4 junior guard who prepped at Brighton High School.
Boylen also confirmed that four freshmen players will be redshirting this year.
He already indicated non-scholarship players Neal Monson, a 6-10 center from Sandy, and Josh Fuller, a 6-7 wing from Idaho, would be redshirting before going on LDS missions after this season. The other two that will be redshirting this year are Preston Guiot, a 6-foot guard from Missouri, and Dominique Lee, a 6-4 guard from Oakland.
Utah is 1-0 this year and next plays at home against Montana on Wednesday night.
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU's worldwide fan base highlighted in...
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 103
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 75
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 64
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 45
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27