Utah Utes basketball: Jay Watkins and Jace Tavita chosen as new team captains
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah men's basketball team has chosen senior forward Jay Watkins and junior guard Jace Tavita as co-captains for the 2010-11 season.
Coach Jim Boylen said the voting among players, coaches and team managers was unanimous and he is pleased with the selections.
"I'm very happy," he said. "Those are two tough guys that play hard and understand what is expected in the program."
Watkins is a 6-foot-7 forward from Memphis who transferred to the program last year from College of Southern Idaho, while Tavita is a 6-4 junior guard who prepped at Brighton High School.
Boylen also confirmed that four freshmen players will be redshirting this year.
He already indicated non-scholarship players Neal Monson, a 6-10 center from Sandy, and Josh Fuller, a 6-7 wing from Idaho, would be redshirting before going on LDS missions after this season. The other two that will be redshirting this year are Preston Guiot, a 6-foot guard from Missouri, and Dominique Lee, a 6-4 guard from Oakland.
Utah is 1-0 this year and next plays at home against Montana on Wednesday night.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28