Utah Utes basketball: Jay Watkins and Jace Tavita chosen as new team captains
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah men's basketball team has chosen senior forward Jay Watkins and junior guard Jace Tavita as co-captains for the 2010-11 season.
Coach Jim Boylen said the voting among players, coaches and team managers was unanimous and he is pleased with the selections.
"I'm very happy," he said. "Those are two tough guys that play hard and understand what is expected in the program."
Watkins is a 6-foot-7 forward from Memphis who transferred to the program last year from College of Southern Idaho, while Tavita is a 6-4 junior guard who prepped at Brighton High School.
Boylen also confirmed that four freshmen players will be redshirting this year.
He already indicated non-scholarship players Neal Monson, a 6-10 center from Sandy, and Josh Fuller, a 6-7 wing from Idaho, would be redshirting before going on LDS missions after this season. The other two that will be redshirting this year are Preston Guiot, a 6-foot guard from Missouri, and Dominique Lee, a 6-4 guard from Oakland.
Utah is 1-0 this year and next plays at home against Montana on Wednesday night.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Ute recruit Tyler Huntley posting huge...
- Felt's Facts: Breaking down the Utah high...
- Underrated East Carolina will test BYU's defense
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 53
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 40
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 19