Utah Jazz: Deron Williams named Western Conference player of the week
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Jazz's road trip didn't just catch the attention of teams in Miami, Orlando, Atlanta and Charlotte. The NBA's front office also noticed.
Deron Williams was named by the league today as the Western Conference player of the week after leading the Jazz to a 4-0 record and a handful of come-from-behind victories.
Utah's Paul Millsap, who sparked the Miami win with a 46-point career night and three consecutive late-game 3-pointers, was also nominated for the Jazz.
For the four games, Williams averaged 23 points, 11.8 assists and 4.0 rebounds, and his play was one of the big reasons Utah, now 7-3 and riding a five-game winning streak, was able to fight back from second-half double-digit deficits in each contest.
The All-Star point guard capped the unbelievable Southeastern sweep with a game-winning floater with 0.8 seconds to go against Charlotte.
In the back-to-back wins at Eastern Conference contenders Miami and Orlando, Williams was especially clutch in the fourth quarters when he averaged 14 points. Williams fouled out before Millsap's OT-forcing putback at Miami at the end of regulation, but he had 21 points and 14 assists before becoming a cheerleader in overtime for that memorable 116-114 comeback victory.
Chicago point guard Derrick Rose was named the Eastern Conference player of the week, helping the Bulls go 3-0 while averaging 21.3 points and 9.0 assists.
Here is a recap of the week for Rose and Williams from the NBA:
Nov. 9 @ Miami: Tallied 21 points and 14 assists in a 116-114 two-overtime win over the Heat.
Nov. 10 @ Orlando: Posted 30 points and 14 assists in a 104-94 win over the Magic.
Nov. 12 @ Atlanta: Scored 24 points to go along with 10 assists in a 90-86 win vs. the Hawks.
Nov. 13 @ Charlotte: Scored 17 points to go along with nine assists in a 96-95 win over the Bobcats.
Nov. 8 vs. Denver: Recorded 18 points, six assists, and two rebounds in a 94-92 win over the Nuggets.
Nov. 11 vs. Golden State: Tallied 22 points, 13 assists and three rebounds in a 120-90 win over the Warriors.
Nov. 13 vs. Washington: Scored 24 points to go along with eight assists, and four rebounds in a 103-96 win over the Wizards.
Other nominees for the Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week were Boston's Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce, Charlotte's Gerald Wallace, Chicago's Joakim Noah, Indiana's Mike Dunleavy, Miami's Dwyane Wade and LeBron James, Milwaukee's Brandon Jennings, Minnesota's Kevin Love, Oklahoma City's Russell Westbrook, Phoenix's Jason Richardson, San Antonio's Tony Parker, and Utah's Paul Millsap.
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: DJJazzyJody
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain Covey's...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...
- Doug Robinson: What might have been for the...
- Faith and family are driving forces for LDS...
- BYU basketball: Cougars shake up starting...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 74
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 61
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35