Ravell Call, Deseret News
SOUTH BEND, Ind. — Utah's 8-0 start included victories over teams with a current combined record of 26-57. Of that group, only Pittsburgh (5-4) and Air Force (7-4) have winning records. Iowa State (5-6) is the next best with Colorado State (3-8), UNLV (2-8), Wyoming (2-9), New Mexico (1-9) and San Jose State (1-9) rounding out the field.
"We were fully aware that the degree of difficulty got higher as the season went on," said Utah coach Kyle Whittingham. "We weren't tooting our own horn."
The pollsters and computer rankings, however, did — leading to significant national recognition.
"We had beaten a lot of teams that we should have beaten and (knew) that a tough stretch was coming up," Whittingham said.
Utah's season-ending games are at San Diego State (7-3) on Saturday and at home against BYU (5-5) the following week — a couple of more tests during a challenging portion of the schedule.
In explaining the current two-game skid, offensive lineman Tony Bergstrom said it has to do with the caliber of teams the Utes are facing.
"In times like this, there aren't a lot of answers," he noted. "It's easy when things are high and you're winning eight games in a row. But now it's just time to dig deep and figure it out."
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 116
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 62
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 51