Ravell Call, Deseret News
SOUTH BEND, Ind. — Utah's 8-0 start included victories over teams with a current combined record of 26-57. Of that group, only Pittsburgh (5-4) and Air Force (7-4) have winning records. Iowa State (5-6) is the next best with Colorado State (3-8), UNLV (2-8), Wyoming (2-9), New Mexico (1-9) and San Jose State (1-9) rounding out the field.
"We were fully aware that the degree of difficulty got higher as the season went on," said Utah coach Kyle Whittingham. "We weren't tooting our own horn."
The pollsters and computer rankings, however, did — leading to significant national recognition.
"We had beaten a lot of teams that we should have beaten and (knew) that a tough stretch was coming up," Whittingham said.
Utah's season-ending games are at San Diego State (7-3) on Saturday and at home against BYU (5-5) the following week — a couple of more tests during a challenging portion of the schedule.
In explaining the current two-game skid, offensive lineman Tony Bergstrom said it has to do with the caliber of teams the Utes are facing.
"In times like this, there aren't a lot of answers," he noted. "It's easy when things are high and you're winning eight games in a row. But now it's just time to dig deep and figure it out."
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- 7 Russian swimmers to miss Rio Olympics over...
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 33
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 18