Ravell Call, Deseret News
SOUTH BEND, Ind. — Utah's 8-0 start included victories over teams with a current combined record of 26-57. Of that group, only Pittsburgh (5-4) and Air Force (7-4) have winning records. Iowa State (5-6) is the next best with Colorado State (3-8), UNLV (2-8), Wyoming (2-9), New Mexico (1-9) and San Jose State (1-9) rounding out the field.
"We were fully aware that the degree of difficulty got higher as the season went on," said Utah coach Kyle Whittingham. "We weren't tooting our own horn."
The pollsters and computer rankings, however, did — leading to significant national recognition.
"We had beaten a lot of teams that we should have beaten and (knew) that a tough stretch was coming up," Whittingham said.
Utah's season-ending games are at San Diego State (7-3) on Saturday and at home against BYU (5-5) the following week — a couple of more tests during a challenging portion of the schedule.
In explaining the current two-game skid, offensive lineman Tony Bergstrom said it has to do with the caliber of teams the Utes are facing.
"In times like this, there aren't a lot of answers," he noted. "It's easy when things are high and you're winning eight games in a row. But now it's just time to dig deep and figure it out."
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 81
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Utes have a lot of depth on the... 18
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 18