Real's Findley, Borchers on U.S. roster
Real Salt Lake's Nat Borchers and Robbie Findley have been named to the 18-man U.S. National Team roster for its friendly game with South Africa in Cape Town next Wednesday. The match is part of the 2010 Nelson Mandela Challenge, and will air on ESPN2 at noon.
Nine members of the U.S. squad, which departs for South Africa today, play domestically in MLS.
"I'm very glad I got called into the game and hopefully I can get on the field and do something," said Findley.
"I'm obviously really excited to enjoy the team, it wouldn't have happened though without our success as a team this year, so I really have my teammates to thank," said Borchers, whose last appearance with the Yanks was in 2005.
Pagel leaving Utah Golf for USGA job
Thomas Pagel, executive director of the Utah Golf Association, is leaving his post to become the dDirector of rules for the United States Golf Association.
Pagel has served as the head of the UGA for two years. He previously worked for the Colorado Golf Association, first as assistant director of rules and competitions, then as assistant executive director. Pagel has served as a rules official at several USGA championships.
Runnin' Utes to compete in Cancun event
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah men's basketball is one of six teams that has been confirmed to compete in the 2011 Cancun Governor's Cup in Cancun, Mexico, next season. The final two schools to fill out the eight-team tournament slate will be announced at a later date.
The Runnin' Utes join the College of Charleston, Kansas State, Massachusetts, Rice and Southern Illinois as confirmed competitors.
Finals players decided at USTA Men's 45s
SALT LAKE CITY — The top two seeds advanced to the finals of the USTA National Men's 45s Indoor Tennis Championship at the Salt Lake Swimming and Tennis Club.
No. 1 seed Rick Leach defeated Kelly Ward 6-2, 6-2 and will play No. 2 seed Mario Taberes, who beat 3rd-seeded Andy Stoner in the other semifinal.
In the doubles draw, the top-seeded team of Taberes and Kyle Permut lost a tough three-set match to Stoner and Gilbert Schuerholz 7-6, 3-6, 7-5.
In the other half of the doubles draw, Willie Alumbaugh and Kelly Ward upset the No. 2-seeded team of Rick Leach and Gregory Washer 7-5, 7-6.
The singles final will be at 9 a.m. today with the doubles final to begin immediately afterward.
— Deseret News staff and wire reports
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 116
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 67
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 51