Utah Utes football: Eric Weddle will use Chargers' bye week to cheer on Utes
SOUTH BEND, Ind. — A familiar face is expected to join the Utah Utes on the sidelines at Notre Dame Stadium on Saturday.
Utah alum Eric Weddle, a safety with the NFL's San Diego Chargers, is taking advantage of a bye week and making the trip to South Bend.
"Eric will be there," said Utah coach Kyle Whittingham, who noted that the former Ute is as excited as anyone to visit Notre Dame. "Eric Weddle is a great ambassador for our program and he is so supportive. He represents us so well in San Diego."
Odds are the Utes will see Weddle again next week. They'll face San Diego State at Qualcomm Stadium on Saturday, two days before the Chargers host the Denver Broncos on Monday Night Football.
Whittingham noted that Weddle is welcome anytime.
"He's one of us," Whittingham said.
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Preparation, hard work help BYU's Koroma earn...
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- Gauging their market value: Jazz trade value...
- Jazz empathetic for fired Kings coach, happy...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- Utes rally but fall short against Kansas 61
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU's Mendenhall addresses Big 12... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 29
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 26
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25