Utah Utes football: Eric Weddle will use Chargers' bye week to cheer on Utes
SOUTH BEND, Ind. — A familiar face is expected to join the Utah Utes on the sidelines at Notre Dame Stadium on Saturday.
Utah alum Eric Weddle, a safety with the NFL's San Diego Chargers, is taking advantage of a bye week and making the trip to South Bend.
"Eric will be there," said Utah coach Kyle Whittingham, who noted that the former Ute is as excited as anyone to visit Notre Dame. "Eric Weddle is a great ambassador for our program and he is so supportive. He represents us so well in San Diego."
Odds are the Utes will see Weddle again next week. They'll face San Diego State at Qualcomm Stadium on Saturday, two days before the Chargers host the Denver Broncos on Monday Night Football.
Whittingham noted that Weddle is welcome anytime.
"He's one of us," Whittingham said.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33