A declaration of five principles to guide Utah's immigration discussion
FEDERAL SOLUTIONS: Immigration is a federal policy issue between the U.S. government and other countries — not Utah and other countries. We urge Utah's congressional delegation, and others, to lead efforts to strengthen federal laws and protect our national borders. We urge state leaders to adopt reasonable policies addressing immigrants in Utah.
LAW ENFORCEMENT: We respect the rule of law and support law enforcement's professional judgment and discretion. Local law enforcement resources should focus on criminal activities, not civil violations of federal code.
FAMILIES: Strong families are the foundation of successful communities. We oppose policies that unnecessarily separate families. We champion policies that support families and improve the health, education and well-being of all Utah children.
ECONOMY: Utah is best served by a free-market philosophy that maximizes individual freedom and opportunity. We acknowledge the economic role immigrants play as workers and taxpayers. Utah's immigration policies must reaffirm our global reputation as a welcoming and business-friendly state.
A FREE SOCIETY: Immigrants are integrated into communities across Utah. We must adopt a humane approach to this reality, reflecting our unique culture, history and spirit of inclusion. The way we treat immigrants will say more about us as a free society and less about our immigrant neighbors. Utah should always be a place that welcomes people of goodwill.
- Davis High teacher faces rape charges
- Funeral plans set for BYU student, LDS...
- Rep. Jim Matheson says he won't run for...
- BYU student, LDS seminary teacher watches...
- Parents plead for person who hit and killed...
- Utah-based 'Kid History' collaborates with...
- UVU plans campus shooting simulation Tuesday
- Ogden couple not giving up hope on finding...
- Federal judge overturns part of Utah's... 80
- Rep. Jim Matheson says he won't run for... 47
- Minimum wage debate rages on 22
- Family looks for answers after children... 21
- BYU student, LDS seminary teacher... 16
- State GOP Central Committee chooses... 15
- British actor John Rhys-Davies 'flies'... 14
- UVU plans campus shooting simulation... 11