Up: Utah — Season still a success
Stable: BYU — Looking for elusive road victory
Up: Utah State — Can still get to five wins
Down: Weber State — Big Sky season ends
Up: Southern Utah — The year of the Thunderbird
Player to watch
Southern Utah quarterback Brad Sorensen
The sophomore from Grand Terrace, Calif., has had a breakout season for the T-birds. He's thrown for 642 yards in the last two games against UC Davis — where was named National Player of the Week — and Dixie State.
Game of the week
Utah at Notre Dame
Saturday, 12:30 p.m., NBC
Any other week this would be HUGE deal for the Utah and the program's fans — and despite last week's loss, it still is a big deal.
WAC to add Texas schools
The Western Athletic Conference is expected to announce on Thursday the addition of the University of Texas-San Antonio and Texas State University, along with the University of Denver as a non-football member.
A person familiar with the decisions, speaking on condition of anonymity because final approval of the additions were still being worked out, told The Associated Press on Wednesday night that the three schools will become members of the WAC in 2012.
Texas-San Antonio administrators were scheduled to appear in Austin on Thursday before the UT System board of regents and discuss a change in conferences.
WAC commissioner Karl Benson had a teleconference with reporters scheduled for Thursday at 3 p.m. MST to make an announcement about WAC expansion.
The WAC needs to replace Boise State, which is moving to the Mountain West Conference after this school year, and Fresno State and Nevada, which will join the MWC in 2012.
The additions of Texas-San Antonio and Texas State will give the WAC eight football members in 2012.
UTSA is starting a football program that will begin play in 2011. Former Miami coach Larry Coker is the Roadrunners' coach.
Texas State plays in the Southland Conference in the Championship Subdivision of Division I, but has been exploring the possibility of moving up to FBS. The Bobcats are 4-5 overall and 1-4 in the Southland Conference this season.
Denver competes in the Sun Belt in most sports and does not have a football team.
The University of Montana, an FCS powerhouse, is also considering a move to Division I's top level. If it does, it could also find a home in the WAC.
The other members of the WAC are San Jose State, Idaho, New Mexico State, Hawaii, Louisiana Tech and Utah State. Hawaii has been considering becoming an independent in football.
State of the state
Opponent: Colorado State
Location: Fort Collins, Colo.
TV: The mtn.
Radio: 1160 AM, 102.7 FM
- MVP Jimmer Fredette puts on a show at the...
- Emery scores 31 as BYU crushes Santa Clara,...
- Dick Harmon: Unique perspectives from new...
- Former BYU, Davis High runner Jared Ward...
- Jimmer Fredette named D-League All-Star MVP,...
- On the cusp: Gordon Hayward playing like an...
- Brad Rock: Utah Jazz smart to avoid coaching...
- Dick Harmon: The night the rim got wide as a...
- Emery scores career-high 37 points to... 73
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants... 61
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting... 51
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 45
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave... 45
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 44
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 40
- Morning links: Kyle Van Noy, Eric... 38