The life-long goal of getting to "The Turf" will finally be realized for 12 high school football teams today and Friday with the 5A, 4A and 3A semifinals getting underway at Rice-Eccles Stadium.
Two very intriguing 5A games gets things started today, with Region 1 champion Fremont and Region 4 champion Lone Peak squaring off at 11 a.m.
The afternoon game at 2:30 p.m. features nationally-ranked Bingham against surprising Jordan.
The nightcap is the first 3A semifinal at 6:30 p.m. between Hurricane at Delta. The second 3A semifinal between Judge and Juan Diego is Friday night.
Our website will feature live play-by-play, live blogging and live stats from all three match-ups and can be accessed at deseretnews.com/prep for those unable to attend the games in person.
Also at deseretnews.com are in-depth breakdowns of all eight high school football playoff games this weekend, including today's 5A semifinals and the 3A semifinals.
In the first match-up today, don't be surprised if both teams experience some jitters. Lone Peak has played in a semifinal game since 2004, while Fremont is appearing for just the second time in the past nine years.
Bingham's defense might get its toughest test of the season in the second 5A semifinal.
Jordan is coming off a 52-7 first-round win over Davis and a 62-38 quarterfinal win over Cottonwood. A Bingham defense that surrendered only 8.5 ppg this year will probably be up for the challenge.
This is the second straight year these programs have met in the playoffs. Bingham routed Jordan 62-42 in the first round last year en route to the 5A state championship.
The 3A night cap between Hurricane and Delta is a rematch of meeting back in Week 2, with Hurricane prevailing 20-8.
For the Rabbits it was the second of four straight losses to the start the season. They have since won eight straight and are more than capable of spoiling the 3A title game between Juan Diego and Hurricane that everyone believes is inevitable.
Hurricane has lost back-to-back 3A championship games to Juan Diego, and many believe this is the Tigers' year. First they need to get by a gritty Delta squad.
NOTE: Jordan vs. Bingham will be broadcast on television on KJZZ.
At Rice-Eccles Stadium
Fremont (10-1) vs. Lone Peak (11-1), 11 a.m.
Jordan (9-3) vs. Bingham (11-0), 2:30 p.m.
Hurricane (11-1) vs. Delta (8-4), 6:30 p.m.
- BYU football: Fan-developed software gives...
- Amy Donaldson: LDS boxer B.J. Flores hopes...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood...
- High school boys track: Davis wins another 5A...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state tournament...
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same...
- High school girls track: Davis wins...
- Boys high school top track performances, 2013...
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian... 86
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a... 78
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle:... 68
- Ryan Teeples: Ziggy Ansah's story... 68
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 52
- Utah Utes football: Dr. Chris Hill... 39
- High school football: Riley Nelson... 30
- Brad Rock: USU athletics can go home again 21