SOUTH SALT LAKE — A benefactor wishing to express his gratitude for the exceptional care provided to a family member by St. Mark's Hospital has arranged for a generous gift — the loan of a full-sized, nearly exact replica of Michelangelo's La Pieta.
On Tuesday, Joseph Bishop loaned the replica to St. Mark's Hospital.
This famous work of art depicts the body of Jesus on the lap of his mother, Mary, after the Crucifixion. The original La Piet?can be found in St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City.
The replica loaned by Bishop is licensed by the Vatican Observatory Foundation. The marble sculpture is faithful to the original in its detail and subtlety. Its premier unveiling occurred in January 2010 during the Sundance Film Festival in Park City.
This is believed to be the first time it has been displayed in a health care venue anywhere in the world.
The public is invited to personally experience the sculpture until the end of the year in the main lobby at St. Mark's Hospital, 1200 E. 3900 South.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah...
- Too many boaters not stopping for quagga...
- Jordan board calls for special bond election...
- Family of slain man who killed police K9...
- Crash launches engine 100 feet, but seat belt...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 14