SOUTH SALT LAKE — A benefactor wishing to express his gratitude for the exceptional care provided to a family member by St. Mark's Hospital has arranged for a generous gift — the loan of a full-sized, nearly exact replica of Michelangelo's La Pieta.
On Tuesday, Joseph Bishop loaned the replica to St. Mark's Hospital.
This famous work of art depicts the body of Jesus on the lap of his mother, Mary, after the Crucifixion. The original La Piet?can be found in St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City.
The replica loaned by Bishop is licensed by the Vatican Observatory Foundation. The marble sculpture is faithful to the original in its detail and subtlety. Its premier unveiling occurred in January 2010 during the Sundance Film Festival in Park City.
This is believed to be the first time it has been displayed in a health care venue anywhere in the world.
The public is invited to personally experience the sculpture until the end of the year in the main lobby at St. Mark's Hospital, 1200 E. 3900 South.
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to surprise...
- Could elephants' 'superhero' cancer guardian...
- Couple charged with stealing Hondas from TRAX...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 67
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 38
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 26
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 19
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 17
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15