PROVO — BYU's women's soccer team earned an automatic bid into the 2010 NCAA Women's College Cup, and will play the UCLA Bruins in the first round on Thursday at 6:30 p.m. MDT in Los Angeles.
With a 1-0 victory over New Mexico in the Mountain West Conference championship game, the Cougars claimed their seventh MWC title and earned the automatic bid.
Midfielder Jessica Ringwood scored the lone goal for BYU and was named All-Tournament MVP.
When the Cougars play in the 2010 College Cup, it will be BYU's 13th all-time post-season appearance under head coach Jennifer Rockwood.
The Cougars have had 10 different players score goals for them this year with a 40-goal total for the season. Seven goals from Jennie Marshall leads the team, with teammates Carlee Payne, Kassidy Shumway and Ringwood each adding six to the total.
BYU goalkeeper McKinzie Olson has recorded nine shutouts in 21 games and 1,913 minutes while only allowing 11 goals. Olson is currently 10th in the NCAA for her save percentage and goals-against average.
First-round opponent UCLA has met the Cougars three times before with a 2-1 series record favoring BYU.
The Cougars last met the Bruins in 2000 with the 6-0 victory going to UCLA on their home field. Before that, the Cougars beat UCLA in 1997 and 1998 by scores of 3-1 and 2-0, respectively. The 1997 meeting was a regular-season game and 1998's game was in the second round of the NCAA tournament, again on the UCLA home field.
BYU (16-3-2) is making its 13th appearance in the NCAA women's tournament and its 11th as a member of the MWC.
The winner of the BYU/UCLA match will play either fourth-seeded Central Florida (14-4-3) or Fresno State (9-8-5) on Saturday.
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Video: Former BYU outfielder Jacob...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 87
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 49
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 27
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8