BALTIMORE — Billy Cundiff and the Baltimore Ravens got a kick out of ending the Miami Dolphins' run of success on the road.
Cundiff made four field goals, and the Ravens cranked up the defense in the second half Sunday in a 26-10 victory over the Dolphins, who absorbed their first road loss.
Baltimore (6-2) won its seventh straight home game behind Cundiff and a defense that blanked Miami (4-4) after halftime. Cundiff connected from 26, 39, 20, 24 yards and the Ravens limited the Dolphins to 24 yards rushing over the final 30 minutes.
Miami quarterback Chad Henne went 22 for 34 for 231 yards and three interceptions. Miami came in 4-0 on the road, but the Ravens were seemingly unimpressed. Baltimore never trailed and pulled away after taking a 13-10 halftime lead.
Joe Flacco completed 20 of 27 passes for 266 yards and two touchdowns for the Ravens, who are 6-0 at home since 2001 after a bye.
The Ravens finished with a 16-minute advantage in time of possession thanks heavily to the running of Ray Rice, who gained 83 yards on 22 carries.
Baltimore expanded its 13-10 halftime lead by moving 81 yards for a touchdown on its first possession of the third quarter. Rice caught three passes for 61 yards before Flacco hit Derrick Mason in the end zone from 12 yards.
Minutes later, Baltimore used a fake punt to get to the Miami 26. But Cundiff missed a 37-yard field goal.
The Dolphins then moved downfield before Dan Carpenter was wide left on a 46-yard field goal try, ending a run of 14 straight successful attempts.
Cundiff added a field goal with 6:45 left, and an interception by Ed Reed set up Cundiff's final 3-pointer with 2:07 to go.
Baltimore scored a touchdown on its opening possession for the first time this season. The drive ended when Willis McGahee took a screen pass from Flacco, broke free behind a block by Ben Grubbs and weaved his way to a 32-yard score.
Miami then became the first team to score a touchdown on its opening drive against the Ravens. Ronnie Brown carried six times for 45 yards, including a 12-yard TD run.
After a 26-yard field goal by Cundiff put Baltimore up 10-7, Lardarius Webb went 32 yards with an interception to the Miami 4. Baltimore was pushed back to the 20 before holder Sam Koch muffed the snap on a field goal try.
The Dolphins were forced to punt, and a 10-play drive by the Ravens ended with a field goal for a 13-7 lead.
Later in the half, Miami moved 79 yards to the Baltimore 1, before Carpenter kicked a field goal.
That, however, would be the extent of the Dolphins' scoring.
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 81
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Utes have a lot of depth on the... 18
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 18