SAN DIEGO — In their last opportunity to claim a Mountain West Conference title, the No. 18 BYU women's soccer team defeated the top-seeded New Mexico Lobos 1-0 in the championship game Saturday.
The Cougars earned an automatic bid into the 2010 NCAA Women's College Cup. The 2010 bracket will be announced on Monday at 2:30 p.m. on ESPNU.
BYU's McKinzie Olson, Jessica Ringwood, Lindsi Lisonbee and Carlee Payne were all named to the 2010 MWC All-Tournament Team, and Ringwood received the MWC All-Tournament MVP award.
"It's never easy, especially in championship games where everyone comes out and gives their best, but I'm very happy with how the girls played today," said BYU coach Jennifer Rockwood. "The girls put up a really great defensive and offensive effort, especially in the midfield with Jessica (Ringwood) getting that goal. She's got a great touch on the ball."
Ringwood scored her sixth goal of the season in the 62nd minute off an assist from Payne. Forward Jennie Marshall took a shot that deflected back to Payne, who passed it over to Ringwood for the right-footed shot through the Lobos goalkeeper's fingers.
The Cougars had taken seven shots to New Mexico's four, but were unable to find the back of the net in the first 45.
"At halftime we knew we'd been in this situation before so we just told the girls to stay positive," Rockwood said. "We told them we just needed someone to step up and take the chance."
Finishing the game with 12 shots to New Mexico's 10, the Cougars kept possession for the majority of the game and had numerous players with many shots on goal.
Ringwood and Auna Janis-Doria both recorded a game-high three shots in the victory. BYU took five corner kicks to the Lobos' one.
The win was the ninth season shutout for Olson, who also recorded four saves.
"It's always a tough battle in front of the net with two talented teams but McKinzie is solid and extremely consistent for us," Rockwood said. "She's the cornerstone to our defense."
- AP source: Irving, Barnes finish US Olympic...
- Federer out to turn around frustrating season...
- With 1-0 loss to Colombia, US finishes 4th in...
- Ipsen, Hixon get Olympic 3-meter spots,...
- National champion Sam Mikulak leads US men's...
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 167
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 79
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 67
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 58
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 43
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 42
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 27
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 24