The Ute defenders, fearing TCU's speed, played soft coverage and the Frogs exploited it with an assortment of bubble screens and quick passes to the flat. That set up two double-move routes that resulted in touchdown passes of 26 and 93 yards. Quarterback Andy Dalton had a dream game, completing 21 of 26 passes for 355 yards and 3 touchdowns and leading a nearly flawless team performance.
"That's a quality football team to say the least," said Whittingham.
It was quite a comedown for a Ute program that has been on a roll for several years. Exactly no one saw this one coming from a team that had won 39 of its previous 43 games, including 21 straight at home.
"We just gotta put this behind us; it's ancient history," said one U. player, relegating the game into antiquity just 15 minutes after it ended. As if on cue, moments later a player could be heard from the Ute locker room exhorting his teammates to press on the rest of the season. "Whooooo! 11-1"
- Big turnout of fans buoys Jazz
- BYU football players like the variety, travel...
- Defensive effort, accountability among Utah...
- Is independence a viable option for BYU, or...
- 10 with ties to Utah set for NBA Summer...
- Jazz match, Gordon Hayward to sign four-year,...
- LeBron James says he's returning to Cavaliers
- BYU football: 10 players to buy stock in
- Vai's View: Harvey Langi hopes to... 285
- Is independence a viable option for... 123
- Gordon Hayward agrees to terms with... 65
- BYU football: Box Elder's Riley Burt... 31
- Utah Jazz almost on the clock to match... 27
- Big turnout of fans buoys Jazz 17
- Jimmer Fredette returns to Provo to... 14
- Utah Utes to face familiar faces in... 13