Jeter, Rivera become free agents
At 12:01 a.m. Sunday morning, Derek Jeter entered unchartered, and for him unwanted, territory.
The shortstop, along with Mariano Rivera and the rest of the Yankees' free agents, were free to begin negotiating with all teams just after midnight.
No talks between the agents for the two Yankees icons and the team were scheduled for the weekend, but working out those contracts are priorities. Those two deals, along with an all-out pursuit of Cliff Lee, will begin this week. The three players are central to the team's offseason plans, which are fairly straightforward — re-sign Jeter and Rivera and ink Lee to what likely would be a $100-million-plus contract.
Slater wins record 10th world surf title
ISABELA, Puerto Rico — Surfer Kelly Slater of Florida won a record 10th world title at the Rip Curl Pro Search on Saturday.
The 38-year-old surfer scored two barrels in the first five minutes of his heat against Brazilian surfer Adriano de Souza, earning a perfect 10 from two of five judges.
Officials had suspended the Rip Curl event for two days to honor Slater's rival, Andy Irons.
Utah Flash open camp Tuesday
OREM — The Utah Flash, affiliate of the Utah Jazz and Atlanta Hawks, will open camp on Tuesday.
Utah will have two practices a day for the first several days of training camp, and will set the final roster for the season on Nov. 18. The Flash open with five games on the road beginning Nov. 20 at Reno. See the training camp roster on D16.
—Deseret News wire reports
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Utes' center Jakob Poeltl says he'll return...
- BYU football: Cougars face even more...
- Dick Harmon: Lone Peak's Quincy Lewis among...
- Nothing to frown about: 3 baby arrivals in 3...
- Yeomans: What does it mean for Jimmer...
- Soccer: Taylor Booth is a 13-year-old phenom...
- The Pit is no place anyone wants to be, yet...
- Utes' center Jakob Poeltl says he'll... 56
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 35
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches 28
- BYU football: Cougars face even more... 21
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- 3 Utes, 1 Aggie and 1 Cougar selected... 16
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a... 16
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe... 11