The second half opened on a better note. Shaky Smithson's 45-yard kickoff return gave the second-largest crowd in Rice-Eccles Stadium history (46,522) something to cheer about.
Three plays later, though, they were replaced by jeers. Wynn was intercepted by TCU's Tanner Brock. The linebacker returned it 57 yards to the Utah 4. Ed Wesley then ran it across the goal line to increase the Horned Frogs' lead just 40 seconds into the third quarter.
Trailing 30-0, the Utes weren't finished giving the ball away. After catching a pass from Wynn on first down, wide receiver DeVonte Christopher fumbled after getting hit by TCU's Jason Teague. It was recovered by teammate Alex Ibiloye on the Utah 36.
Trouble was averted, however, 45 seconds later when Utah safety Brian Blechen forced TCU's Matthew Tucker to fumble. Defensive tackle Sealver Siliga made the recovery on the 29-yard line.
It failed to spark any sort of momentum shift as Utah's 21-game home winning streak came to a lopsided conclusion.
TCU's lead grew in the second half. The Frogs added an 11-yard touchdown pass from Dalton to Jimmy Young in the third quarter and a 23-yard field goal by Evans early in the fourth.
Utah responded to the latter, moving into TCU territory for the first and only time on a 10-yard run by Matt Asiata with 12:26 remaining. Asiata later scored on a 19-yard touchdown pass from Wynn as Utah avoided being shutout at home for the first time since 1967.
In keeping with the tone of the game, though, the Utes' next possession ended with Wynn being intercepted by TCU cornerback Greg McCoy.
And there were more difficulties ahead.
Adding insult to injury, Utah blocked the PAT but it still went through the uprights.
It was just that kind of day for the Utes, who suffered their worst loss in Salt Lake City since a 50-10 setback to Colorado State in 1989. It was also Utah's most lopsided setback overall since a 51-10 loss at Rice in 1996.
"All we can do is just get up and forget about his game," said center Zane Taylor. "It's ancient history. We can't let it linger with us the rest of this season."
The Utes (8-1) visit Notre Dame (4-5) on Saturday.
- BYU football: Fan-developed software gives...
- Amy Donaldson: LDS boxer B.J. Flores hopes...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood...
- High school boys track: Davis wins another 5A...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state tournament...
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same...
- High school girls track: Davis wins...
- Boys high school top track performances, 2013...
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian... 86
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a... 78
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle:... 68
- Ryan Teeples: Ziggy Ansah's story... 68
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 52
- Utah Utes football: Dr. Chris Hill... 39
- High school football: Riley Nelson... 30
- Brad Rock: USU athletics can go home again 21