Utah Jazz: Bay Area not so golden as team falls to the Warriors
The Jazz, already dealing with injuries of varying severity with Mehmet Okur, Jeremy Evans and Paul Millsap, received another scare on the health front in the second quarter.
C.J. Miles crumpled hard to the court, rolling in agony while clutching his right ankle. The sixth man was helped off the court by trainers and walked slowly and gingerly to the bench, having rolled the same ankle he sprained two weeks earlier in a preseason game.
Fortunately for the Jazz, Miles was re-taped and returned to score seven of his 12 points.
"It just hurt so bad right in the beginning because it was the same ankle, and it just hit me real hard," Miles said. "I was able to walk it off. ... I'm fine. It's nothing I can't play with, so I'll be fine."
The Jazz will return home tonight for a GameNight showdown with Blake Griffin and the Los Angeles Clippers. Utah, of course, hopes to fare better in this back-to-back than it did the first week of the season when it lost in consecutive nights on the road and at home.
Williams said the Jazz, who are still trying to work all the kinks out, "just need to get a win" at home tonight.
"We keep saying it's not going to come over night," he said. "We're going to have good stretches, we're going to have bad stretches. Tonight was a bad game."
And he was particularly down on his own play.
"It's frustrating, because I feel like I should be playing better," the All-Star said. "And if I play better, the team's going to play better, so I've got to do a better job of that."
Williams led the Jazz with 23 points, but he had more turnovers (eight) than assists (six).
Al Jefferson (16 points, 15 rebounds) and Paul Millsap (12 points, 11 rebounds) each racked up double-doubles, but on this night it wasn't enough to overcome the Jazz's 39.5 percent shooting.
"They made the plays, we didn't," Williams said. "We got back in it, fought to get it back tied, and it just kind of went downhill from there."
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of NFL...
- Booker, other locals could get NFL draft...
- Decades later, Thurl Bailey and N.C. State...
- BYU men's volleyball: Underwood and others...
- Niumatalolo and Navy make another trip to the...
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for Utah
- No home games for 7 weeks? RSL explains why a...
- The BYU international basketball tracker: How...
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 90
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC... 49
- BYU's Kaufusi an intriguing NFL... 26
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for... 20
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 18
- Morning links: NFL Draft prospect news... 18
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might... 14
- BYU football announces full spring... 12