The Jazz, already dealing with injuries of varying severity with Mehmet Okur, Jeremy Evans and Paul Millsap, received another scare on the health front in the second quarter.
C.J. Miles crumpled hard to the court, rolling in agony while clutching his right ankle. The sixth man was helped off the court by trainers and walked slowly and gingerly to the bench, having rolled the same ankle he sprained two weeks earlier in a preseason game.
Fortunately for the Jazz, Miles was re-taped and returned to score seven of his 12 points.
"It just hurt so bad right in the beginning because it was the same ankle, and it just hit me real hard," Miles said. "I was able to walk it off. ... I'm fine. It's nothing I can't play with, so I'll be fine."
The Jazz will return home tonight for a GameNight showdown with Blake Griffin and the Los Angeles Clippers. Utah, of course, hopes to fare better in this back-to-back than it did the first week of the season when it lost in consecutive nights on the road and at home.
Williams said the Jazz, who are still trying to work all the kinks out, "just need to get a win" at home tonight.
"We keep saying it's not going to come over night," he said. "We're going to have good stretches, we're going to have bad stretches. Tonight was a bad game."
And he was particularly down on his own play.
"It's frustrating, because I feel like I should be playing better," the All-Star said. "And if I play better, the team's going to play better, so I've got to do a better job of that."
Williams led the Jazz with 23 points, but he had more turnovers (eight) than assists (six).
Al Jefferson (16 points, 15 rebounds) and Paul Millsap (12 points, 11 rebounds) each racked up double-doubles, but on this night it wasn't enough to overcome the Jazz's 39.5 percent shooting.
"They made the plays, we didn't," Williams said. "We got back in it, fought to get it back tied, and it just kind of went downhill from there."
- High school football: Reigning Mr. Football...
- Quinton Pedroza dismissed from Utah Utes...
- Ryan Teeples: BYU sports is for BYUtv, not...
- Brad Rock: If the NFL could add a team in...
- Utah Jazz hire Jerry Sloan in a senior...
- More than just football: Alema Te'o promotes...
- Utah Jazz: Possible Jazz draftee Michael...
- Dick Harmon: Bronco Mendenhall and Cecil O....
- BYU football: Cougars must secure their... 187
- High school football: Reigning Mr.... 72
- Quinton Pedroza dismissed from Utah... 46
- Dick Harmon: Bronco Mendenhall and... 37
- Utes basketball: Utah conducting... 35
- Ryan Teeples: BYU sports is for BYUtv,... 20
- Brad Rock: USU coach Matt Wells has... 11
- University of Utah 'restructures'... 11