August Miller, Deseret News archives
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah's first Pac-12 football schedule was released Friday afternoon.
The Utes will make their league debut Sept. 10, 2011, at USC. They'll also face California (Oct. 22), Arizona (Nov. 5) and Washington State (Nov. 19) on the road. Home games next season include Washington (Oct. 1), Arizona State (Oct. 8), Oregon State (Oct. 29), UCLA (Nov. 12) and Colorado (Nov. 26).
Utah's non-conference slate includes road games at BYU (Sept. 17) and Pittsburgh (Oct. 15), as well as a home date against Montana State to kick off the season on Thursday, Sept. 1.
"We are pleased that the league announced the schedule this early so that our fans can begin making plans to attend as many home and away games as possible," Utah athletics director Chris Hill said in a released statement. "Without question, this is the most challenging schedule in Utah football history, but also the most exciting. Not only is our Pac-12 Conference schedule demanding, but we have non-conference road games at BYU and Pitt. Next season is the start of a new era of Utah athletics."
Game times and television arrangements will be determined later.
"We are pleased to follow the announcement of the Pac-12 North-South divisional alignment with the release of our 2011 football schedule, and a future conference football scheduling model that maintains important traditional rivalries, and will create some very exciting match-ups in our new 12-team conference," commissioner Larry Scott said in releasing the schedules.
The league announced that the 2012 schedule will include the same set of opponents as 2011 schedule. Games, however, will be played at opposite sites.
Utah will play South Division mates Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, UCLA and USC every year. The Utes will face North teams on a rotating basis — four each season in two-year cycles. They won't face Oregon or Stanford in 2011 or 2012, but will in 2013-14. California, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State are on the 2011-12 slate.
2011 UTAH FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
Sept. 1 — MONTANA STATE
Sept. 10 — at USC
Sept. 17 — at BYU
Sept. 24 — Bye
Oct. 1 — WASHINGTON
Oct. 8 — ARIZONA STATE
Oct. 15 — at Pittsburgh
Oct. 22 — at California
Oct. 29 — OREGON STATE
Nov. 5 — at Arizona
Nov. 12 — UCLA
Nov. 19 — at Washington State
Nov. 26 — COLORADO
Dec. 3 — Pac-12 Championship Game
Utah's Pac-12 Opponents from 2011-18
2011/2012 — 2013/2014 — 2015/2016 — 2017/2018
Arizona — Arizona — Arizona — Arizona
Arizona State— Arizona State — Arizona State — Arizona State
Colorado — Colorado — Colorado — Colorado
UCLA — UCLA — UCLA — UCLA
USC — USC — USC — USC
California — Stanford — California — Stanford
Oregon State — Oregon — Oregon — Oregon
Washington — Oregon State — Oregon State — Washington
Washington State — Washington — Washington State — Washington State
- Guard Elijah Bryant announces he is...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk (ahem,...
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive line...
- Cougars say they have learned lessons in wake...
- Morning links: Devontae Booker to be Utah's...
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor Harding...
- Whittingham dishes on stadium expansion,...
- Utah Utes football: Ranking the best players...
- Phil Steele gives tempered assessment... 77
- Morning links: Utah is on the rise in... 74
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 65
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 46
- BYU looking for another defensive... 33
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 31
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 30
- Utah Utes backup quarterback Donovan... 29