It is disheartening and concerning to see the lack of compassion in people. Reading the online comments made about the family that was deported back to Argentina was heart-breaking. The family was persecuted and left their country for the "pursuit of happiness." Why should we be given opportunities and deny them to others? It is understood there are those who break laws and come into the country with incorrect desires or aspirations and should be taken back to their correct countries. Those who make comments with so little understanding of what others are going through should put themselves in others' shoes for a minute. It would do others good to judge less quickly and be more willing to understand. No matter what nationality, religion, color, etc., one is they deserve respect and to be treated as an individual. Learn to tolerate and be respectful to everyone.
Read Martin Luther King Jr.'s words, "Too long has our beloved Southland been bogged down in a tragic effort to live in monologue rather than dialogue…Any law that uplifts human personality is just. Any law that degrades human personality is unjust. All segregation statutes are unjust because segregation distorts the soul and damages the personality. It gives the segregator a false sense of superiority and the segregated a false sense of inferiority." Treat others as you desire to be treated. Compassion and understanding are used too little and should be used more frequently. Everyone is given the opportunity of life, why not make it worthwhile?
- Doug Robinson: We are in the midst of an era...
- Michael Gerson: The gospel according to JC...
- My view: Fix Obamacare, don't replace it
- Most popular letters to the editor of 2013
- Robert J. Samuelson: Government programs...
- In our opinion: Don't raise the minimum wage
- In our opinion: Forgiveness, positive focus...
- Matthew Sanders: Nelson Mandela's goodness...
- In our opinion: Don't raise the minimum... 62
- My view: Fix Obamacare, don't replace it 57
- Robert Bennett: Create wealth before... 41
- Letter: Doctors unite 40
- Andrew Morriss: No, Congress should not... 32
- Michael E. Kraft: Yes, Congress should... 22
- Letter: Foreign aid 17
- My view: Utah needs to expand Medicaid 14