FARMINGTON — The Davis County Commission will remain an all-Republican club in 2011.
Incumbent Commissioner P. Bret Millburn raced to a lopsided victory over Democratic challenger Kelly Dixon on Tuesday night, grabbing 75 percent of the vote to Dixon's 25 percent with all 187 precincts reporting.
Millburn will begin his second term in January 2011 alongside fellow Republicans Louenda Downs and John Petroff Jr. Downs also won a second term Tuesday in an uncontested race.
No Democrat has served on the Davis County Commission since J. Dell Holbrook was elected in 1990 and spent a single term in office.
Republicans also swept all other Davis County government races Tuesday, though most did so unopposed.
Republican Troy Rawlings earned a second term as county attorney with a comfortable 84 percent to 16 percent victory over Libertarian candidate J. Robert Latham.
In other uncontested races, Clerk/Auditor Steve Rawlings was re-elected to the office he's held since January 1999; Davis County Sheriff's Sgt. Todd Richardson was chosen to succeed three-term Sheriff Bud Cox, who didn't seek re-election; and Dennis Yarrington was elected as county assessor. Yarrington defeated incumbent James Ivie in April's Davis County Republican Convention.
Incumbents Richard T. Maughan, recorder; Max Elliott, surveyor; and Mark Altom, treasurer, also earned unopposed victories.
In Kaysville, a $4.5 million bond to build a new police station north of the city library was defeated, with 57 percent of voters casting ballots against the bond, with all 16 precincts reporting. Forty-three percent voted for the bond.
Kaysville residents would have paid about $33 more a year in property tax on a $258,000 home. The estimated tax impact for a $258,000 business would have been roughly $60 a year for the 20-year life of the bond.
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA...
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- Man arrested in connection with baby's death
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Woman accused of leaving young son outside...
- Lawmaker's proposal would offer free tuition...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 53
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 48
- House Speaker Becky Lockhart is running... 36
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 34
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 33
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 33
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 30
- LDS missionary critically injured in... 27