FARMINGTON — The Davis County Commission will remain an all-Republican club in 2011.
Incumbent Commissioner P. Bret Millburn raced to a lopsided victory over Democratic challenger Kelly Dixon on Tuesday night, grabbing 75 percent of the vote to Dixon's 25 percent with all 187 precincts reporting.
Millburn will begin his second term in January 2011 alongside fellow Republicans Louenda Downs and John Petroff Jr. Downs also won a second term Tuesday in an uncontested race.
No Democrat has served on the Davis County Commission since J. Dell Holbrook was elected in 1990 and spent a single term in office.
Republicans also swept all other Davis County government races Tuesday, though most did so unopposed.
Republican Troy Rawlings earned a second term as county attorney with a comfortable 84 percent to 16 percent victory over Libertarian candidate J. Robert Latham.
In other uncontested races, Clerk/Auditor Steve Rawlings was re-elected to the office he's held since January 1999; Davis County Sheriff's Sgt. Todd Richardson was chosen to succeed three-term Sheriff Bud Cox, who didn't seek re-election; and Dennis Yarrington was elected as county assessor. Yarrington defeated incumbent James Ivie in April's Davis County Republican Convention.
Incumbents Richard T. Maughan, recorder; Max Elliott, surveyor; and Mark Altom, treasurer, also earned unopposed victories.
In Kaysville, a $4.5 million bond to build a new police station north of the city library was defeated, with 57 percent of voters casting ballots against the bond, with all 16 precincts reporting. Forty-three percent voted for the bond.
Kaysville residents would have paid about $33 more a year in property tax on a $258,000 home. The estimated tax impact for a $258,000 business would have been roughly $60 a year for the 20-year life of the bond.
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty to...
- Lagoon's Cannibal ride makes late but...
- Desire to serve: Even a gunshot couldn't keep...
- Rubio, Christie planning sleepover with the...
- Two fires were purposely set at U. fraternity...
- President Packer's enduring legacy includes...
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry... 96
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 62
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 41
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 35
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 24
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21
- U.S. Supreme Court overturns EPA's... 14
- Utah senators seeking support for... 14