Police find, arrest man who stabbed pregnant girlfriend
MIDVALE — Police located and arrested 41-year-old Jeffrey Ingram, a man they believe disobeyed a recent protective order when he followed his pregnant girlfriend from a TRAX station and stabbed her in the stomach Tuesday.
The woman, 23, is four months pregnant and although she was taken to the hospital, she and the unborn child are expected to be OK, Midvale Police Sgt. Marcelo Rapela said.
"The baby is fine," Rapela said Wednesday. "They are doing an ultrasound this afternoon just to be absolutely certain, but the stab wound to the stomach didn't penetrate the stomach muscle so the baby should be just fine, and doctors expect (the woman) to be fine."
It is suspected that Ingram, who allegedly attacked the woman near 146 W. Center (7720 South), was upset with the issuance of the protective order.
Rapela said the incident began around 7 p.m., when the two had an argument outside a smoke shop. He said the pair was also allegedly arguing over who was the baby's father.
Ingram is believed to be homeless and has in the past been seen at the Road Home shelter in downtown Salt Lake City. Police stopped there after Midvale issued an attempt to locate on Ingram and it was there that he was found and arrested Tuesday around midnight.
Ingram was booked into Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of aggravated assault and violating a protective order.
— Wendy Leonard
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Could elephants' 'superhero' cancer guardian...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- New Salt Lake County ordinance mandates pet...
- Couple charged with stealing Hondas from TRAX...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 67
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 41
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 37
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 26
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 19
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 17