Police find, arrest man who stabbed pregnant girlfriend
MIDVALE — Police located and arrested 41-year-old Jeffrey Ingram, a man they believe disobeyed a recent protective order when he followed his pregnant girlfriend from a TRAX station and stabbed her in the stomach Tuesday.
The woman, 23, is four months pregnant and although she was taken to the hospital, she and the unborn child are expected to be OK, Midvale Police Sgt. Marcelo Rapela said.
"The baby is fine," Rapela said Wednesday. "They are doing an ultrasound this afternoon just to be absolutely certain, but the stab wound to the stomach didn't penetrate the stomach muscle so the baby should be just fine, and doctors expect (the woman) to be fine."
It is suspected that Ingram, who allegedly attacked the woman near 146 W. Center (7720 South), was upset with the issuance of the protective order.
Rapela said the incident began around 7 p.m., when the two had an argument outside a smoke shop. He said the pair was also allegedly arguing over who was the baby's father.
Ingram is believed to be homeless and has in the past been seen at the Road Home shelter in downtown Salt Lake City. Police stopped there after Midvale issued an attempt to locate on Ingram and it was there that he was found and arrested Tuesday around midnight.
Ingram was booked into Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of aggravated assault and violating a protective order.
— Wendy Leonard
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Festival celebrates cultural traditions
- Police suspect arson in house fire that...
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue atop...
- Horse owners urged to have animals vaccinated
- Judiciary panel OK’s ex-Centerville...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 34
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 31
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 17
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 14