CEDAR CITY — Southern Utah University quarterback Brad Sorensen has been named National Player of the Week and teammate Tysson Poots has been named National Receiver of the Week by College Football Performance Awards following their performances in the Thunderbirds' Great West Conference championship-clinching win at UC Davis on Saturday.
Sorensen, a sophomore from Grand Terrace, Calif., completed 30-of-36 passes for 397 yards and five touchdowns and ran for another score. The five TD passes tied the SUU single-game record as did the six TDs he was responsible for. The 397 passing yards are the fourth-best single-game effort in school history and his 400 total yards rank sixth.
Poots, a senior from Henderson, Nev., caught 12 of Sorensen's passes for 191 yards and three touchdowns. The catches tied the fourth-highest total in SUU history while the yards ranked seventh.
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being forced out...
- Amy Donaldson: South Jordan mom eyes Boston...
- Brad Rock: Silence is the wrong approach for...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Bingham nearly topples undefeated Florida...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point range...
- Meet the 21 Utah ties on the NFL playoff rosters
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 75
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 63
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being... 45
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football... 41
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act... 38
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point... 15
- Pangos, Wiltjer lead Gonzaga to victory... 13