CEDAR CITY — Southern Utah University quarterback Brad Sorensen has been named National Player of the Week and teammate Tysson Poots has been named National Receiver of the Week by College Football Performance Awards following their performances in the Thunderbirds' Great West Conference championship-clinching win at UC Davis on Saturday.
Sorensen, a sophomore from Grand Terrace, Calif., completed 30-of-36 passes for 397 yards and five touchdowns and ran for another score. The five TD passes tied the SUU single-game record as did the six TDs he was responsible for. The 397 passing yards are the fourth-best single-game effort in school history and his 400 total yards rank sixth.
Poots, a senior from Henderson, Nev., caught 12 of Sorensen's passes for 191 yards and three touchdowns. The catches tied the fourth-highest total in SUU history while the yards ranked seventh.
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Hodgson leaves job on humiliating night for...
- Lindros' wait over as he headlines Hockey...
- Pat Summitt, winningest coach in D1 history,...
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 79
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 66
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 30
- Who will be BYU's starting quarterback?... 24
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 22