CEDAR CITY — Southern Utah University quarterback Brad Sorensen has been named National Player of the Week and teammate Tysson Poots has been named National Receiver of the Week by College Football Performance Awards following their performances in the Thunderbirds' Great West Conference championship-clinching win at UC Davis on Saturday.
Sorensen, a sophomore from Grand Terrace, Calif., completed 30-of-36 passes for 397 yards and five touchdowns and ran for another score. The five TD passes tied the SUU single-game record as did the six TDs he was responsible for. The 397 passing yards are the fourth-best single-game effort in school history and his 400 total yards rank sixth.
Poots, a senior from Henderson, Nev., caught 12 of Sorensen's passes for 191 yards and three touchdowns. The catches tied the fourth-highest total in SUU history while the yards ranked seventh.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Morning links: NBA post-up is not dead;...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- High school All-Sports awards: Davis, Maple...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- The 1990 NBA draft redone: See how a pair of...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 47
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 45
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 33
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 10
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball... 7
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 6