In Connecticut, Republican Linda McMahon produced a TV ad that showed a clip of Democratic Senate nominee Richard Blumenthal commenting about "the days that I served in Vietnam." The comment was discredited two years ago. McMahon, the former World Wrestling Entertainment executive, found herself the target of media reports that her wrestling business had worked with a company that produces the "Girls Gone Wild" videos.
House Democrats claimed that eight Republican hopefuls around the country had "disturbing backgrounds and legal problems."
Rhode Island Democratic gubernatorial candidate Frank Caprio announced that President Obama could "shove it" for refusing to endorse him.
In California, the gubernatorial race between Meg Whitman and Jerry Brown has been ugly. Brown's campaign attacked Whitman for not telling the truth about how long she lived in California and for getting caught in insider deals and for changing "her story about physically abusing an employee" and for hiring a housekeeper who is an illegal alien.
Then, a recording surfaced in which Brown asks if they should produce an ad about Whitman's pension plan. A staffer replies, "What about saying she's a whore?"
During a debate, Brown apologized for the "whore" comment but countered by asking if Whitman had reprimanded her campaign chairman Pete Wilson, who suggested members of Congress were "whores (to public opinion)."
Civility and class have taken a vacation. During another debate, moderator Matt Lauer called for a truce and asked both candidates to drop all negative ads. The candidates couldn't work out the terms and refused.
Arnold Schwarzenegger was on stage with Brown and Whitman that night. He should have clunked their heads together like the Three Stooges.
Doug Robinson's column runs on Tuesdays. E-mail email@example.com
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- 7 habits of mentally strong people
- 'Catastrophic' arson fire destroys 10 Tooele...
- West Valley man killed in motorcycle crash...
- Applications being taken for justice court...
- UDOT resurfacing 12300 South in Draper
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 16
- Can police-community relations be... 14