Utah Utes football: Joe Phillips' record field-goal streak comes to an end at 18
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colo. — Utah kicker Joe Phillips' school-record streak of consecutive field goals made came to an end late in Saturday's 28-23 victory over Air Force.
A 42-yard attempt in a stiff wind with 3:21 remaining bounced off the right upright, ending his run of success after 18 straight makes.
"I miss-hit it pretty bad. All I hit it with was my toes. So I didn't connect with it," Phillips said. "It was right on the inside of the upright then right at the end faded out and hit the upright."
The streak dated back to last season.
"It was very rewarding," said the two-time Lou Groza Award semifinalist. "This way I'll start it over with a new slate and get it going again."
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- Utah Jazz pick up rare road win against Miami...
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- BYU running back Adam Hine enjoying Miami...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 43
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 36
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 30
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25