It took far less time, however, for Air Force to respond. The Falcons countered less than four minutes later when Warzeka ran 11 yards for a touchdown, capping an eight-play drive with 2:50 remaining in the first quarter.
With the score knotted at 7-7, more drama followed.
Before the quarter was complete, Air Force recovered an ensuing onside kick and later lost another fumble off a completed pass. The latter followed a 36-yard throw from Jefferson to Joshua Freeman.
Lamar Chapman forced the fumble and Blechen recovered it on the Utah 9.
In the second quarter, Air Force became the first team since Iowa State went up 7-0 on Oct. 9 to hold a lead on the Utes. A 23-yard field goal by Erik Soderberg with 11:44 to play in the half gave the Falcons a 10-7 advantage.
It didn't stay that way for long, however.
Utah upped its seasonlong, second-quarter scoring edge to 141-16 with a 12-play touchdown drive. And as was the case early on, there were some tense moments along the way — starting with the squib kick Air Force attempted..
Neli A'asa fielded it for the Utes, but not until the ball bounced off him first.
Utah's march downfield also proved dramatic. It took a 9-yard throw from Wynn to Shaky Smithson on fourth-and-5 from the Air Force 25 to keep the drive alive.
Asiata eventually capped things off with a 1-yard touchdown run on third down to give the Utes the lead.
The 14-10 edge held firm over the remaining 6:22 of the second quarter.
A promising drive by Air Force ended with another turnover. Running back Asher Clark gained seven yards before Bird forced a fumble with a hit and Christian Cox recovered it on the Utah 32.
The three takeaways allowed the Utes to overcome a 252-141 deficit in total offense over the first two quarters.
- Brad Rock: Whittingham looks the part as a...
- With Mangum 'probable,' Cougars getting Hoge...
- Morning links: Whittingham's stock is up,...
- BYU football notebook: Return of Travis...
- USC fires Steve Sarkisian 1 day after putting...
- What you may have missed: Put him in, coach,...
- BYU legend Steve Young talks Tanner Mangum,...
- Due to injuries, both BYU and Cincinnati have...
- Brad Rock: Whittingham looks the part... 92
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 45
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 41
- No. 5 Utes outlast No. 23 Cal in... 40
- USC fires Steve Sarkisian 1 day after... 35
- Utah football: Utes moves up No. 4 in... 34
- Morning links: Whittingham's stock is... 34
- Due to injuries, both BYU and... 33