It took far less time, however, for Air Force to respond. The Falcons countered less than four minutes later when Warzeka ran 11 yards for a touchdown, capping an eight-play drive with 2:50 remaining in the first quarter.
With the score knotted at 7-7, more drama followed.
Before the quarter was complete, Air Force recovered an ensuing onside kick and later lost another fumble off a completed pass. The latter followed a 36-yard throw from Jefferson to Joshua Freeman.
Lamar Chapman forced the fumble and Blechen recovered it on the Utah 9.
In the second quarter, Air Force became the first team since Iowa State went up 7-0 on Oct. 9 to hold a lead on the Utes. A 23-yard field goal by Erik Soderberg with 11:44 to play in the half gave the Falcons a 10-7 advantage.
It didn't stay that way for long, however.
Utah upped its seasonlong, second-quarter scoring edge to 141-16 with a 12-play touchdown drive. And as was the case early on, there were some tense moments along the way — starting with the squib kick Air Force attempted..
Neli A'asa fielded it for the Utes, but not until the ball bounced off him first.
Utah's march downfield also proved dramatic. It took a 9-yard throw from Wynn to Shaky Smithson on fourth-and-5 from the Air Force 25 to keep the drive alive.
Asiata eventually capped things off with a 1-yard touchdown run on third down to give the Utes the lead.
The 14-10 edge held firm over the remaining 6:22 of the second quarter.
A promising drive by Air Force ended with another turnover. Running back Asher Clark gained seven yards before Bird forced a fumble with a hit and Christian Cox recovered it on the Utah 32.
The three takeaways allowed the Utes to overcome a 252-141 deficit in total offense over the first two quarters.
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being forced out...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Pangos, Wiltjer lead Gonzaga to victory over...
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Injury-riddled BYU set to host WCC powerhouse...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 75
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 63
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 52
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football... 39
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act... 36
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look... 19