4A high school football playoffs: T-birds' O-line gets it done versus Logan
PROVO — When it came time to get going in their school's opening round 4A playoff game against a really good Logan team, Timpview's offensive linemen couldn't have been more ready.
Play after play and series after series, they sprang from their three-point stances when the ball was snapped, engaged defenders and made it look almost easy for everyone else to make plays.
But with Timpview's offensive line, composed of Tevia Tolutau, Tony Huber, Braxton Wright, CJ Dever and Kalvin Cusick, dialed in from beginning to finish, Timpview stars Christian Covey, Bryson McKenzie and Josey Trammell were all able to do what they do — make plays.
Covey, Timpview's ultra-efficient QB, competed 10 of 16 passes for 233 yards, two touchdowns and zero interceptions and rushed for 74 yards and a score, McKenzie, Timpview's power back, rushed for 150 yards and 3 TDs, and Trammell, Timpview's change-of-pace back, added 82 yards and a score as the T-Birds took apart Logan, 48-21, Friday afternoon at home.
Timpview coach Louis Wong, whose team is attempting to win a fifth straight 4A championship, said afterward that his guys seemed to enter into "playoff mode," this week, and they collectively played well in every phase of the game to beat Logan.
But it was hard to not start with the offensive line, which shined and shined against the Grizzlies.
"They're unbelievable," said Covey. "I love them, I love their heart, I love their passion and I love how they open holes for us. They deserve a lot more credit than they're getting."
Defensively, Timpview kept Logan's talented offense as quiet as possible by controlling the line of scrimmage and consequently piling pressure on Logan QBs DJ Nelson and Luke Falk. That led to stops and turnovers, and when the T-Birds got the ball back, their offense — and especially the O-line — was raring to go.
"We got beat by a great program with great coaches and great players," said Logan coach Mike Favero. "There's no shame in that. It's easy to see why they're the four-time defending state champs."
- Getting back up off the ground: Utahn...
- Utes notebook: Kyle Whittingham says Harvey...
- From autonomy to Harvey Langi: Tidbits from...
- Pac-12 commissioner 'delighted' that his...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Ranking the best draft picks in Utah Jazz...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 112
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 88
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 65
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 52
- ACC media days has some interesting... 48
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 31
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 28
- Utes notebook: Kyle Whittingham says... 25