Utah Utes football notebook: Jordan Wynn still seeking that perfect game
Tom Smart, Deseret News
AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colo. — Utah quarterback Jordan Wynn came close to a flawless game in last week's 59-6 win over Colorado State.
The sophomore completed 23-of-29 passes for 321 yards and three touchdowns in less than three quarters. A couple of his incomplete passes were throwaways, which show as a plus on the grade sheet.
"For me, that was almost a perfect game," Wynn said.
Key word: almost.
"That was pretty close Saturday. I felt pretty good. I guess I'm kind of close," he explained. "I still think I've got a lot of work to do."
Wynn's performance, though, was a nice bounce back from a three-interception showing at Wyoming a week earlier.
"I try to build off every game, even like the bad one at Wyoming," Wynn said. "You still try to learn and build off it. So I take each game for what it is."
Wynn is connecting on 70 percent of his passes this season with 12 touchdowns and five interceptions. His 168.61 pass-efficiency rating is among the nation's best.
AFA'S SIGNAL CALLER: Air Force junior quarterback Tim Jefferson has 17 career wins as a starter and is closing in on the team record of 22 by Dee Dowis (1986-89).
"He is a very good athlete. He is running the offense very well and his running ability is his strong suit," said Utah coach Kyle Whittingham. "They have had some great quarterbacks throughout the years and he is another in a long list of guys adept at running the triple option."
EXTRA POINTS: Air Force is the only team in the Mountain West Conference to have a winning overall record against Utah. The Falcons are 14-12 against the Utes. … Utah leads the nation in two categories: kickoff return average (29.2 yards) and fewest tackles-for-loss yardage allowed (47). … Kicker Joe Phillips has made 17 consecutive field goals, tying him with David Ruffer of Notre Dame for the nation's longest active streak.
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 78
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 29
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 27
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 14