Utah Utes football notebook: Jordan Wynn still seeking that perfect game
Tom Smart, Deseret News
AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colo. — Utah quarterback Jordan Wynn came close to a flawless game in last week's 59-6 win over Colorado State.
The sophomore completed 23-of-29 passes for 321 yards and three touchdowns in less than three quarters. A couple of his incomplete passes were throwaways, which show as a plus on the grade sheet.
"For me, that was almost a perfect game," Wynn said.
Key word: almost.
"That was pretty close Saturday. I felt pretty good. I guess I'm kind of close," he explained. "I still think I've got a lot of work to do."
Wynn's performance, though, was a nice bounce back from a three-interception showing at Wyoming a week earlier.
"I try to build off every game, even like the bad one at Wyoming," Wynn said. "You still try to learn and build off it. So I take each game for what it is."
Wynn is connecting on 70 percent of his passes this season with 12 touchdowns and five interceptions. His 168.61 pass-efficiency rating is among the nation's best.
AFA'S SIGNAL CALLER: Air Force junior quarterback Tim Jefferson has 17 career wins as a starter and is closing in on the team record of 22 by Dee Dowis (1986-89).
"He is a very good athlete. He is running the offense very well and his running ability is his strong suit," said Utah coach Kyle Whittingham. "They have had some great quarterbacks throughout the years and he is another in a long list of guys adept at running the triple option."
EXTRA POINTS: Air Force is the only team in the Mountain West Conference to have a winning overall record against Utah. The Falcons are 14-12 against the Utes. … Utah leads the nation in two categories: kickoff return average (29.2 yards) and fewest tackles-for-loss yardage allowed (47). … Kicker Joe Phillips has made 17 consecutive field goals, tying him with David Ruffer of Notre Dame for the nation's longest active streak.
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- Busch turns weekend into clean sweep with...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 54
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 43
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 42
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 23