HURRICANE — Food manufacturer Litehouse Inc. announced plans to build a new facility in Hurricane — an expected investment of more than $10 million that will add 162 new full-time jobs in the rural southern Utah community.
"Our rural communities continue to be a valued part of the state's economy," Gov. Gary Herbert said. "These jobs are critical to recovery in a broad sense, and even more important to the individuals and families who will directly benefit from them."
The company accepted a single taxpayer, post-performance incentive of $502,400 as a tax credit over 10 years. Payment of the incentive comes from the corporate, sales and wage taxes the company will pay on the new plant.
Over the lifetime of the 10-year incentive, the company will pay approximately $37 million in new wages and more than $2.5 million in new state taxes over the same period, a news release stated. Litehouse expects the new facility to open in the second quarter of 2011.
The company began as a restaurant facility more than 50 years ago in the resort town of Hope, Idaho — gaining notoriety for its blue cheese dressing, which eventually lead to expansion into the retail market. Today, Litehouse is employee-owned with sales in excess of $120 million and more than 500 employees based in two manufacturing facilities in Idaho and Michigan.
The products produced in the new Utah plant will be a mix of existing lines and products from Green Garden Foods, a Kent, Wash., company acquired by Litehouse earlier this year.
- Balancing act: Different kinds of guilt...
- Ground broken for transit-oriented housing...
- Dave Ramsey says: Everyone needs a financial...
- Commission to highlight women in Utah economy
- Colorado high court considers pot firing case
- Is preschool worth the money?
- 2 Utah companies respond to FDA warning over...
- Suit: Papa John's fired worker with Down...
- Marijuana could deliver more than $800... 12
- 4 things you don't want your boss to know 6
- Colorado high court considers pot... 4
- How to be a billionaire 4
- Commission to highlight women in Utah... 4
- USDA: Genetically modified wheat found... 3
- Something that may have caused the... 3
- About Utah: Baltic Avenue just bought... 3