Recently, the AP reported on NASA's probe last year which found water on the moon.
National Geographic talks about what else was found in the NASA probe: silver and mercury. The elements give clues to why water on the moon is concentrated at the poles. Water and vaporized elements migrate toward the cooler poles.
Why is this important? In 2009 MSNBC explained that finding water on the moon boosts hopes that the moon could be colonized. The water could be a source of drinking water. It could also be broken into hydrogen and oxygen atoms, which could be used in rocket fuel. That means the moon could be used as a base for rocket launches.
Dale McFeatters discusses these hopes and comments on how Obama's canceling NASA's plans for a manned return to the moon should be rethought.
- The Great War: 100 photos marking 100 years...
- Comic-Con's dark side: Harassment amid the...
- Trial begins for Salt Lake attorney seeking...
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11 museum,...
- Northern California wildfire destroys 10 homes
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all lovers
- Judge rules against Donald Sterling, OKs...
- Be ready for 'prolonged' Gaza war, Netanyahu...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 25
- Feds cap fines for not buying health... 22
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 22
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 22
- After government topples crosses in... 18
- Ted Cruz demands answers on FAA flight... 16
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 15
- Varying health premium subsidy amounts... 13