Recently, the AP reported on NASA's probe last year which found water on the moon.
National Geographic talks about what else was found in the NASA probe: silver and mercury. The elements give clues to why water on the moon is concentrated at the poles. Water and vaporized elements migrate toward the cooler poles.
Why is this important? In 2009 MSNBC explained that finding water on the moon boosts hopes that the moon could be colonized. The water could be a source of drinking water. It could also be broken into hydrogen and oxygen atoms, which could be used in rocket fuel. That means the moon could be used as a base for rocket launches.
Dale McFeatters discusses these hopes and comments on how Obama's canceling NASA's plans for a manned return to the moon should be rethought.
- 2 cops in New York City ambushed, fatally...
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,...
- The Associated Press' top 10 movies of the year
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by to watch
- Christmas 1914: The day even WWI showed humanity
- What people never mention when they talk...
- 9 films advance in Oscars shortlist for best...
- 'Hobbit' goes out on top with $90.6 million...
- Obama: US re-establishing diplomatic... 49
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 32
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his... 16
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,... 16
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 16
- Sony cancels 'The Interview' Dec. 25... 15
- NYC premiere of Rogen film 'The... 8
- Utah mourners for Pakistani children... 8