WOMEN'S SOCCER: Utah Valley's Nicole Archibald Spencer and Lauren Sack have been honored by the Great West Conference for their performances in a 3-0 week for the Wolverines. Archibald Spencer shared Offensive Player of the Week with South Carolina State's Brooke Ehinger, while Sack was named the Defensive Player of the Week, the conference office announced Monday.
Spencer, a senior from Smithfield, Utah, helped Utah Valley knock off three teams last week — two conference teams — while notching two goals and two assists for six points for the week. The forward scored a goal and an assist in a 3-0 win over North Dakota State then tallied the game-winning goal in a 1-0 win over North Dakota to help the Wolverines clinch the GWC West Division. Spencer leads the team with eight goals in 2010.
Sack earned defensive player of the week with three consecutive shutouts (two solo, one team shutout) last week. The goalkeeper from Reno, Nev., recorded 12 saves total on the week and lowered her goals-against-average to 0.25 in Great West Conference play. The freshman also posted an assist on the game-winning goal against North Dakota.
MEN'S GOLF: After Monday's first two rounds of the Bill Cullum Invitational at Wood Ranch Golf Club on Monday in Simi Valley, Calif., the Utah Valley University men's golf team currently sits in 13th place heading into today's final round.
UVU's Joey Olson fired a first-round, ever-par 72 and followed it up with a 76 in the afternoon round for a 148 total that was good enough for 28th place, while Andrew Carlin, who shot rounds of 75 and 76, is tied for 42nd place at 151.
Nick Tarasiewicz (78-77) and Parker Redding (80-75) are tied for 64th at 155, while Stratton Schulz (79-77) is tied for 69th at 156.
The Wolverines are nine shots out of ninth place and 15 shots out of eighth.
The University of Portland, led by Jake Wagner (70-71), who is tied for second, leads the tournament with a 581, while San Jose State (582) and UC Riverside (584) are second and third, respectively.
CS San Bernardino's Kenny Pigman shot a 5-under 67 in the first round and followed up with an even-par 72 to lead the tournament by two shots at five-under 139.
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 103
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 80
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 70
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 46
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27