"By winning a better conference without the cachet, Utah was punished by voters who weren't paying attention," according to the authors.
After Utah "manhandled" Alabama in the Sugar Bowl to cap a 13-0 season, the book says the college football world "buzzed" about how Utah would have presented a far greater challenge to Florida than Oklahoma in the title game.
Wetzel, Peter and Passan sought out Harris Poll voters and asked whether they'd watched the Utes before dismissing them as "unworthy of competing" for a national title.
"I did not see them play," said Bobby Aillet.
"I didn't see any live games," said Lance McIlhenny. "I just saw highlights."
Said voter David Housel; "I don't recall if I saw them play specifically during the regular season. I don't remember a specific game."
It took the authors only three phone calls to find those "three blind voters."
This poll issue is one of many critical looks the book examines in its 195 pages.
The subtitle is "The Definitive Case Against The Bowl Championship Series," and it hits it on the head.
At times, it is riveting and over the top on some other aspects of the controversy. But one thing is certain, the book remains a must-read for college football fans who care where their favorite sport is headed, and it even suggests how a college playoff can actually succeed.
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler Haws'...
- BYU basketball: Agustin Ambrosino leaves BYU...
- Hard work, dedication pay off for Utah's Karl...
- Stump the Smith: Can you answer the questions...
- LIVE TODAY: Deseret News live streaming...
- High school softball: Copper Hills earns a...
- ESPN trivia guru: University of Utah graduate...
- High school boys soccer: Lehi beats Bingham,...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 56
- Hard work, dedication pay off for... 37
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler... 29
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who... 19
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz... 19
- Utah State football: New coach Matt... 12
- BYU basketball: Agustin Ambrosino... 11
- BYU football: Fan-developed software... 8