BYU football: Alta safety Rhett Sandlin commits to Cougars
Rhett Sandlin, a 6-3, 200-pound safety for Alta High School, accepted a scholarship offer from BYU and will sign as part of the Class of 2012, according to his father, Kinnon Sandlin.
Sandlin, who has started for Alta since his sophomore year, is a junior for the Hawks. He has more than 120 tackles this year with interceptions against Brighton and Timpview. As a sophomore, Sandlin was Alta's third-leading tackler with 5.2 per game and had two interceptions, according to Deseret News prep statistics.
BYU is the first Division I school to offer Sandlin last week and he accepted shortly thereafter. He attended junior day at Stanford University and has had interest from the Cardinal, Utah, Oregon, Washington, Navy and Wyoming.
Sandlin joins Matt Hadley, another safety, out of Connell, Wash., as commits from the Class of 2012.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Brad Rock: Utah Jazz still don't have the...
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 285
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 92
- Things won't get any easier for... 77
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 48
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 38
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37