The Utah Jazz made their final exhibition appearance of the season. And for them, it came none too soon.
The aging frontcourt of the Boston Celtics, meanwhile, showed there's plenty of life left. Larry Bird scored 28 points, Robert Parrish 23 and Kevin McHale 15 as the Celtics drubbed Utah 120-102 at the Providence Civic Center.
Utah will undoubtedly be glad to see the exhibition season end. The Jazz managed only one win in eight games, completing their worst preseason ever. The Jazz now move on to play Phoenix in Japan for the regular-season opener.
The win was Boston's second in the preseason over the Jazz. Boston beat Utah 114-107 on Oct. 20 in Ogden. In that game, Jazz guard Jeff Malone was out with the flu.
This time Malone was healthy, and his fourth-quarter flurry was the only thing that kept the final margin from being greater. He totaled 14 points, 12 in the final period.
Karl Malone was the Jazz's bright spot, making all 11 of his free-throw attempts and totaling 31 points in his best effort of the preseason. Thurl Bailey added 18 points and John Stockton 17 for Utah, which wound up preseason play with a 1-7 record.
- BYU's Mendenhall not surprised Petersen left...
- Update: Christensen named Utah's new...
- High school basketball: Friday's prep roundup
- Dick Harmon: Can Dave Rose's Cougars regroup...
- Ute standout Bronzell Miller dies at 42
- Utah Jazz: Millslammed! Former Jazz players,...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin didn't...
- BYU faces No. 13 Oregon — another...
- Update: Christensen named Utah's new... 108
- BYU's Kyle Van Noy named CBSSports.com... 43
- Commentary: For the Jazz, it's all... 32
- Utah basketball: Utes top Texas State,... 32
- BYU football: Cougars return to... 31
- Local college football: Cougars, Utes... 30
- BYU basketball: Cougars moving on after... 27
- Dick Harmon: Duane Hardy, Dave Rose... 21